Sign in to follow this  
mudcatwilly

Warm Water Late Evening Fishing?

My home lake is currently 83 degrees and during the day, the bass are being caught off deep structure to 35 feet.  I tried fishing it from about 7:00 pm until dark and had no luck.  I threw the box at them, fishing deep and shallow and still nothing.  I figured they may come up shallower to feed, so when it got dark, I tried spinners and then buzz baits, first in white, and then in black colors.  Does anyone have any experience with fishing warm, deep water in low light conditions?  I was mainly fishing steeper rocky banks.

Guest ouachitabassangler

From now on until fall most bass suspend deep during daylight then move back up shallower in low light. I fish deep by day, shallow beginning an hour before dusk until about 9 am. Some resident bass remain shallow all day, but those are highly pressured and more difficult to catch, especially mature bass. The older they get the more they learn about artificial lures. If there's anything odd or unnatural at all about your lure or presentation they ignore it unless you have patience to goad them into a reaction bite. Deep bass that prefer deep structure typically are not as learned about lures, but they do inspect lures carefully. In evenings I'd fish points nearest deep water holding suspended bass, and ditches leading into vegetated flats. Focus on steep slopes next to smaller flats, and always cast to irregular places in a weedline. A favorite stop for mature bass is an isolated clump of weed not far from a larger weedbed. There might be a little hump or ridge under a clump, a structure that attracts bass. Ditches leading into flats often have bass stacking up. The ditches afford a tunnel route through otherwise un-navigable slop.

Jim

Have you tried Night Fishing for the Bass? When fishing shallow water during the summer months try to have deep water nearby with structure if possible that might hold the fish during the heat of the day. Something else that works for me is fish the shady parts of a lake under docks, under hanging trees, and in and around weeds where the water can be cooler.