Sign in to follow this  
FlyRod

Safety Bulletin!

Subtitle: How Dumb--- FlyRod nearly got seriously whacked.

Early in the AM, predawn, of the Glorious Fourth, Rebbasser and I launched his boat at Boerne City Lake TX. This is a "No gas engine" lake, unless in dire emergency.

As the Nitro slid off the trailer, with me ready to deploy the TM and take control, I remembered we hadn't unhooked the...you know. The winch handle spun merrily and now we had several feet of strap in the water and a breeze from astern.

The TM was still in the stowed position.

I laid down and was reaching over the bow when "Whack!", the TM fired up and began massaging my face. Had I not had glasses on it might have been bad. As it was, I wasn't more than startled, scared poopless, and embarassed.

The switch was on, you see, and my less-than-svelte tummy had depressed the "Go" button.

I hope all of us will remember to "OFF" the TM when it's not deployed.

FR

Very good advice. I'm guessing many of us have been in a spot where that could have happened to us. Glad you didn't get hurt. "Let's be careful out there."

FR

OUCH!

Glad to here you are O.K.  That is a little scarey.  

I can empapthisize with you because the same thing happened to me a couple of months ago when I was loading my boat by myself on an "electric only lake".

I had used the electric to move the boat towards the trailer but a wind kept pushing the boat sideways and off-line from the bunks.  When I got close I quickly stowed the motor and dived on to the bow of the boat so I could reach down and grab the bunks to guide the boat on.  I inadvertently hit the go button and of course the motor was still on.  Almost got a real close shave. :(

I have since come up with a safer way to load it myself when I can't run the big motor  ;)

Glad to hear you're ok FlyRod! I've come close in the past with my hands (prepping the boat before hitting the water) and that wasn't a comforting feeling! Hope the day got better!

Thats good advice Fly Rod.....it took a couple of ripped jackets and shirt sleeves before I started to remember to turn mine off when not in use.

I had it trigger a few times but I haven't been near it thankfully. I don't plug mine in until we idle away from the launch and as we head back I unplug it. Glad you turned out ok from that.

bassdocktor

Thanks for the info.

I will no longer plug in my trolling motor until I am on the water.

I never thought of this occurring and it is very serious.

Thanks again.