Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Dropshot/jig rig

I was just reading the other post about dropshot and the thought of putting a Jig as a weight never occured to me. Thats way ingenious. Not too hard to consider but I never thought of it. Seems real cool. Im really into dropshot fishing right now and have all but put my Senkos away. I wanna give this dropshot/jig rig a try but before I do I need to ask a few questions as I have never fished jigs before.

1. Is this technique used soley on a Spinning outfit,or can it be used on a baitcaster as well?

2. What size jig do you use? The WalMart here sells the finesse Jigs with trailers made by FLW. Would those jigs work or should a standard size jig be tried?

3. Which bait do you focus on working more? The jig or the dropshot bait? Would focusing on just the dropshot bait create enough action to make the jig have a good presentation,and on the other hand ,if I work just the jig,wouldnt that be too fast a movement for the dropshot bait. Help me out here please as I have stated I have never used a jig

4.This is just a general jig question. Is it necessary to use a pork trailer or trailer of some other sort on the jig or can the jig just be fished alone?

5. What are the differences in the using the jig VS. just a bell sinker. I have lost alot of sinkers while dropshotting. Is the jig just as likely to get hung up? I can live with losing a bag of bell sinkers as I can find then all over the lake shore,but jigs well losing them frequently thats a different story.

6. I have noticed on a few of the Bass I have caught on dropshot,have crawfish antenna hanging out thier throats,Guess a jig might up the ante after all? Heck its worth a shot and if it increases the chances of catching fish then why not...Im still kinda floored and find it to be a brilliant idea of using the jig on the end of a dropshot..

1. Is this technique used soley on a Spinning outfit,or can it be used on a baitcaster as well?

Both

2. What size jig do you use? The WalMart here sells the finesse Jigs with trailers made by FLW. Would those jigs work or should a standard size jig be tried?

Whatever size you want I stick to the small 1/8 ounce ones here

just enough to get it down there

DSC00326.JPG

3. Which bait do you focus on working more? The jig or the dropshot bait? Would focusing on just the dropshot bait create enough action to make the jig have a good presentation,and on the other hand ,if I work just the jig,wouldnt that be too fast a movement for the dropshot bait. Help me out here please as I have stated I have never used a jig

work the drop shot and with a trailer on the jig that little twitch will empart enough action on the jigs trailer

4.This is just a general jig question. Is it necessary to use a pork trailer or trailer of some other sort on the jig or can the jig just be fished alone?

I always toss a jig with a  trailer  see the  picture above

5. What are the differences in the using the jig VS. just a bell sinker. I have lost alot of sinkers while dropshotting. Is the jig just as likely to get hung up? I can live with losing a bag of bell sinkers as I can find then all over the lake shore,but jigs well losing them frequently thats a different story.

jigs are suprisingly weedless and if you loose to many and feel its not worth it $$ wise go back to the sinker

6. I have noticed on a few of the Bass I have caught on dropshot,have crawfish antenna hanging out thier throats,Guess a jig might up the ante after all? Heck its worth a shot and if it increases the chances of catching fish then why not...Im still kinda floored and find it to be a brilliant idea of using the jig on the end of a dropshot.

;) ;)

dwhite's advice was very solid.

oh, and check with your state regulations. it may be illegal to fish 2 lures on the same line (it is here in Minnesota or i'd try the jig thing too)

State regs here in Arizona say no more than 2 hooks per line. So if I wanna use this rig its all good.

oregon regulations say no more than 2 hooks per line. im gonna buy some jigs and try it. what color jigs/trailers do you recommend for stained and clear water?