Sign in to follow this  
WishICouldFish

Yet another question....

Atleast I never tried to tell you I could fish.  I mean seriously the most I ever did was put a worm on a hook  with a bobber and cought a few  sun fish and what not.  None of the fancy lure stuff.  Geeze.  I've only caught one bass in my entire life...I really am an amature...geeze! :-/  Haha, anyway.............

Where is going to be the best place to fish on this "pond?  Yup, that's it, I'm sure you'd all know, so if ya don't mind....PLEASE? :'(

Haha..thanks!!  8-)

Britt

Look for anything "different".  That is..something that separates an area of the pond from the rest of it.  A weedy area, an overhang of branches from a tree,  a point of land that sticks out into the pond, a stream or creek inlet, etc.  Unless this pond is super shallow at the banks, try to cast parrallel to the shoreline.  If you are going to be fishing this time of year during the daylight hours, you may need to slow your presentation down a bit.  This is unfortunately a bad time of year to begin fishing.  If you can go out at dusk you will be more productive.  Good Luck,  you'll love bass fishing sooner or later.

I'll try to help regarding bass fishing, but it will work for some of the other fish you mentioned. I fish from the bank about 30% of the time. I like to do this because I believe it makes you a better angler as you are relegated to a small area, and have to figure out how to catch the bass that are in that area, rather then moving to another location in your boat.

Some of the baits you picked up will be a little tricky for a beginner. I would have recommended the Rapala 4 Original Floating Minnow in the traditional silver pattern. You can cast it out and just wind it back, or just twitch it on the surface bringing it back slowly, or jerk the rod to the side a couple of turns of the reel jerk the rod the side a couple turns of the reel (keep repeating), or a combination of them all. it's a fish catching magnet, and it works from spring through summer into fall.

When on the bank as ChugBug said, look for something different in the water. Bass like structure. It could be weeds, lily pads, rocks, stumps, a point, or even a sharp change in depth of the water (4 foot depth dropping into 6 foot) which is within your casting distance. Also, always try spots where other anglers fish, because if there weren't fish at these spots then the anglers wouldn't be fishing there (you can always find these spots by the garbage left behind). Plus, a lot of these anglers use live bait and lose a lot of the bait. That brings in the baitfish, which in turn brings in the bigger predator fish.

But the best advise I could give you is to go out there with a family member or friend who is experienced in fishing for the species you are trying to catch (nothing worse than an expert who doesn't know anything), ask questions, and practice, practice, practice. This year I'm teaching my new son-in-law how to bass fish (he's never fished for bass before). He now loves it and has thanked me for being so patient in the beginning and for explaining to him everything I was doing while I was doing it, and why I made the decisions I made. Now after about 4 months he is teaching me a thing or two.