Sign in to follow this  
wheezo

I see bait fish

I am beginning to spot lots of bait fish.  I'm not sure what they are, they're about 1.5-2" and schools.  I believe its either some sort of minnow or some fry of some sort?   Well there are LOTS!  I'm wondering why would a bass take my lure when there are these little guys just about everywhere.  First of all, I know there are some bass in there because I've caught some.  I seen a huge one jump in this little part of the lake.  I consider this little lake, it's own lake because it only connects under the bridge with about 2" of water.  That is a rise from this year so no big fishes can go in or out.  I would say the lake is less than half a mile in circumference.  I would say maybe 80 yards length and 60 yards width.  guessing*

2 questions...

Any tips on catching the big one?

Why would fishes take a lure when I can see hundreds of bait fish everywhere... such as... a hundred here, a hundred there... oh like 2 hundred over there... and some there and so on?

I can't answer your first question since I'm still working on that one myself  ;D  But I would consider the presence of lots of baitfish to be a mixed bag.  On one hand, it may mean that there are few bass in that water if so many are able to survive.  On the other hand, the bass that are there would have plenty to eat and therefore grow.  Also, where's there's baitfish the bass may be in a feeding mood.  

As for why they would take your lure when there's so much good eatin' around?  Bass are not real smart.  They'll eat anything that looks alive.  Your lure MAY look as good as the real food.  They're also lazy.  So if your lure is bigger than the baitfish, or looks like a wounded baitfish, they may "think" it's an easier meal.  

I actually asked a similar question about whether seeing lots of baitfish is a good sign or bad for the presence of feeding bass a couple weeks ago.  I'll be interested to hear others opinions on this one.