Sign in to follow this  
speechless33759

Fishing Deep Lakes

Look for some humps, flats, or points and try dragging carolina rigs around them.  That's where 75% of my luck has been coming from.  Stillhouse isn't THAT deep, but often you're working with 30-50ft of water there.  If the fish are suspending deeper than a good ole crankbait can run, try going with a dropshot.  That's the only thing I can figure...but I'd put more money on the c-rig senkos.

I had a hard time when I first started fishing belton... lots of 100'-110' water and the polar opposite of what I grew up fishing.  In reality, it's not that much different.  You can eliminate most of the water over 50' in the beginning.  You will have to get used to fishing bluffs and deep banks.  Points are great, even small ones... look for any changes in bottom terrain or compisition.  The good news is if you find a nice bluff or bank that has some cover on that drop, you can likely catch fish on it 365 days a year.   ;)

Nothing too different, we still use t-rigs, c-rigs, flukes, jigs and crankbaits on those deep banks/bluffs.  Half of the challenge for me was just getting used to being 50' from the bank and floating in 80' of water.  ...lol   Don't be afraid of throwing a white fluke at a bluff...  that's the bread and butter a lot of the time for us.  (smallies love the fluke worked fast!)

One other thing... if the water is real clear, consider downsizing your line.  (or if using braid, try mono/fluoro)