Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

figuring it out, still curious

Well i went to this lake for the second time. I explored it a little more, and didnt get skunked this time. Actually, i caught a 3 lber. Anyways, the shoreline has a thick hydrilla type weed that goes out just past the docks. Then there are weeds that dont go up quite are thick until it gets deep. There are some steep shorelines, but the shallows are VERY weedy, and the deep end has no weeds. The only fish i found were on the least weedy docks, and in a couple of little coves in a good fishable weedbed around 6ft deep. My question is, do you think flipping/ pitching into the docks will still be effective? Should i work the weedbreak along the shoreline, and also, do you imagine that bass will be deep despite the lack of cover?

Shade is COVER.

Guest ouachitabassangler

Yes indeed. Sometimes shade is the preferred cover! Some cover is simply concealment material enabling an ambush, no need of shade involved.

A bass is going to find its comfort zone somewhere in the water column probably on an hourly basis as its needs change. It can range from near total dark in mid day under an utterly impenetrable log jam in the middle of a hydrilla mat, to simply putting enough water between surface and fish to escape whatever was bothering the bass, yet not stray too far from food. At or somewhere between the extremes is where most of the bass will suspend. Once you locate that condition you have a pattern developing. Locate other places matching the same conditions the bass are demanding. Often shad seek the same conditions, so that's why we say "find the shad, find the bass".

Jim

Shade, via a tree, bush, grass, pads, docks, boats, sticks, logs, brush pile, duck blinds,wood or whatever is where the bass will go on a sunny day.

Remember, fish do not have eyelids so they can't shut their eyes.  Also, the water temperature is cooler in the shade.

I like to fish 1) In the shade or 2) where the shade ends and the sunshine begins.  This is a change in the environment and the bass like changes, such as a drop off, lilly pads to open bottom or grass, etc.

So try your luck in the shady areas like under trees and bushes; in the shade of the trees; the shade of a dock; or a the shade of a boat boat.

Good luck.

Shade was the pattern today in one of the smaller lakes I fish.  An ika or senko where the sun and shade met meant you were getting a fish 3 outta 4 casts.  

just out of curiosity,why is everybody telling me about shade? I cant fish the docks very well, since the weeds nearly choke them out. Also, i was wondering about the open deep areas...

Rocknfish, you post a really good question here. When it's hotter than a firecracker outside, I've caught good bass shallow along weed lines, but I think more often than not I find them in one of two places very generally speaking: Hanging very close to shallow wood cover or suspended at least 8-15 feet deep along steep drop offs.

Guest ouachitabassangler

Rockbfish, you asked "My question is, do you think flipping/ pitching into the docks will still be effective?"

Docks provide deep shade, especially when surrounded by thick hydrilla. That would be one of those extreme shade places bass might prefer at some time. You can fish choked docks effectively. Punch through the slop with a 3/4-1 oz jig&pig, right alongside the shady side of a dock. Don't try to swim it out. Just yo-yo it in place. After a minute pull it back up, skip it back, re-cast to another place. If you can find or make a hole next to the dock, come back with a Charly Brewer 4" Slider worm on a Slider jig. That rig works best in clear open water on 6# line, being almost weightless, but if you can accurately pitcth it in the hole and feed line to let it sink on 50# braid you could be pleasantly surprised. The bass here are gobbling that thing up.

Jim