Sign in to follow this  
FatBoy

bass weren't hungry?

This morning I was fishing a deep quarry with stained but clear water (visibility to about 8') and steep drop offs that go to 10-15' (at least) starting 3-10' from shore.  I caught a couple of keepers that were cruising along the drop offs by tossing senkos just over the edge of the drop and letting them fall slowly down the slope.  

There were lots of baitfish along the ledge and just over the drop.  Everything from small bluegill to minnows/shad/bluegill fry (whatever they were, they were small).  The baitfish were in groups of 3 or 4 bluegill and usually a bunch of the smaller ones.  A couple times I would see small bass (10-12") just cruising through these fish making no attempt to eat.  And one time I saw a 2-3 pounder just mosey along through the baitfish.  And the baitfish didn't scatter or anything.  They just went about their business.  I was pretty surprised by this.  

I tried tossing my senko in front of the bass, but they weren't interested.  So two questions:

1. Is it normal for bass and baitfish to hang around together like that?

2. What could I have done to entice the bass to bite if anything?

Ya know, i've seen some videos of bass around baitfish and see what you're talking about, the fish just kinda hanging around the shad but not making any attempt to eat them.  Maybe they just hang around the food until they get hungry.

As far as the fish not biting, I don't know what to tell ya, sometimes bass are just like that and it's a pain in the arse when they are. >:(

Wild creatures feed when they need to, and that doesn't mean all the time. Many, if not most, of us have seen wildlife programs on TV where the lions walk past the zebras and the zebras show no concern. The lions aren't hunting and the zebras know it. I don't see why it would be any different with fish.

As to how to have enticed them, if I knew, I'd catch more than I do.   :(

Bass don 't need to be hungry in order to attack a bait, the can attack it as a reaction, out of curiosity or territoriality. If you make your bait behave like a wounded animal, something that to the eyes of the predator looks like an easy meal they will attack it.

To add to Raul's comment, try to get a reaction strike out of the bass. Maybe use a buzzbait or someting loud to get a strike. Also try bumping  your lures into cover, this often gets a hit from lethargic bass.