Sign in to follow this  
Handy

Fishing man made pits?

Hi guys,

I don't mean the the super deep no bank kind. I fish a few older pits that have a shore line to them and are really no deeper than 10ft except one thats 20ft. All the articles I have read talk about creek channels, drop offs, stumps, chunk rock and so on. Well the pits I fish don't have any of that to speak of. There is a shallow end and it gradually gets to the deeper end(more or less). I do catch fish in these pits and quite a few times caught some really nice largemouth bass, but it never seems consistent, like they just happened by and took my bait. The water clarity is ussually a few feet. I am looking for any tips I can get to fish these pits better. And of course catch more fish. If it helps I am in north central Iowa. Thanks.

Paul

Hey Handy, even seemingly featureless bottoms are likely to have some type of irregularity. Comb the bottom by dragging a t-rigged worm and see if you can find any of these spots. It doesn't have to be anything huge. If there is anything different at all from the surrounding area then the fish will relate to it. You could also place your own fish attracters in these pits. They were running a good thread about that on this site not long ago.