Sign in to follow this  
pondhopper

Anyone else?

Anyone else like me who likes to admire and ride boats :D, but is not into the maintainance, storage, trailing, etc. that goes with owning a boat :-/, so they do their fishing from the bank, wading or?

I would love to compare notes with like minded anglers.

LOL

I am usually wavering somewhere between thinking buying my boat was the best decision I ever made...or the worst decision I ever made. I get way too bored shore fishing though...

I'm a newbie without a boat and I don't think I'll be buying one, either.  Truth is, I'm blind in one eye and I think I'd wreck the trailer while pulling the darn thing behind my little 4 cylinder S-10.   :P

Now a canoe intrigues me.  How has that been for you, Shrike?

I'm glad I got a boat don't know how I got along without one although when I fish a small body of water such as a pond I still bank fish.  

Guest avid

I truly love to wade fish.  There is nothing like getting right into the water with the fish.  Problem with bass and other warm water species is that they often live in places with soft bottoms, alligators, and venomous snakes. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo when fishing for largemouth I'll take a boat.

But flyfishing for trout, or spinning for smallmouth in a cold New York stream is one of lifes great pleasures

Right on, Avid. And don't forget those less than friendly snapping turtles.

I know quite a few guys who love there canoes. I used to have a 10' john boat with a good trolling motor, but I still found myself not wanting to deal with the boat. Perhaps I'm too lazy.

Now a canoe intrigues me.  How has that been for you, Shrike?

It's great, I can put it in ponds and small lakes where there is no boat ramp, and if the body of water is too big for paddling I have a 30lbs trolling motor to mount on it (I made a motor mount that cost $6 with some wood I had laying around).

I can carry it by myself on my shoulders, I can stand up in it (it's wide, not recommended for smaller canoes or while with another person), I've got an anchor outrigger in the front and an anchor in the back so I don't get blown around in the wind.

There are some advantages over a larger boat and some disadvantages but either way it's better than seriously limiting the amount of fish you can catch by fishing from shore.

I could go on and on but you get my point.