Sign in to follow this  
Mak

structureless lake

Ive been wanting to get a topo map of my lake to find some good drop offs and things to try some deeper water fishing.  so i went to my local tackle shop today and asked if they had any maps of lake whitehurst and the guy told me that awhile back the city dredged lake whitehurst, smith, and some other nearby lake.  and they got rid of all the structural properties of the lakes so now its all either 1 foot deep very very close to shore where no houses have been built then it quickly drops from 4-8 feet.  or its just 6ish feet all the way across where theres houses built.  i think theres some parts in the very middle where its about 10 feet at most.  (except the part where i fish has never been dredged, which explains why theres about 4 feet of trash and leaves and mud and 2-3 feet of water)   anyways, norfolk city put a copyright on the topo maps so none can be sold.  and im too broke to get a boat with a fishfinder on it.

just thought id tell yall cause i think it sucks

Guest avid

negative vibes man!  

Just because a lake is structurless does not mean it is featureless.

the bass will relate to whatever is there for them.

In your case that will be mostly weeds.  Look for where two different types of weeds are next to each other.  There is a reason for that.  Something about the bottom at that point is different - Bass are attracted to that.

Also lakes like yours often have man made culverts.  these are round metal tubes that act as overflow or conduits from one pond to another.  These are Bass magnets.

Check for current.  In lakes like this prevailing winds and subtle changes in the bottom contour will create some current.  These are especially important in the summer. boat docks can be killers.

Be creative.  Don't look at what is NOT there.  Find what IS there for the bass to relate to and you will catch more fish.

I fish a structurless lake all the time where it is extremly muddy.  I have caught many, many five pounders from it.  It is only five feet also!  Fish near dock, but fish gravel beds extremely hard.  Libless rattling crankbaits along with spinnerbaits work extremly well. at least for me.  Good luck!