Sign in to follow this  
Dylcook91

Gut hooking

Hey,

I want to know what you are supposed to do when you catch a fish that has been gut hooked? I have read that you should try to get the hook out, but have also heard that you should leave the hook and cut the line a couple of inches out of the fishes mouth. What do you do? Also is there any way to help not getting the fish gut hooked besides those circle hooks? I have not yet had this happen to me but want to be ready for when it does.

Leave it in.  A few months ago, I would have said something different.  But three times now this summer, in the same pond i caught the same bass, with a segment of braid hanging out of its mouth, it looks like it has a gut hook.  My buddy, the other day caught him, this time the braid is hanging out of his anus.  The hook might be in his gut, but obviously it is not killing this fish, he's as fat as can be.

I dont like playing "hostpital" with the fish. They will be alright. Just cut the line as close the the hook as possible. Fish are really hardy animals it takes alot to put em down.

circle hooks also gut hook you need to have the right circle hook in order not to gut hook. an ofset circle will gut hook but one that is ofset it wont

only time i ever gut hook em is on a craink bait, and theres no way im just gona cut it off, i just rip it out, there tougher than you think, who cares if it bleeds.so just rip that bad boy out and release em