Sign in to follow this  
Laggyman

Spotted Bass & Largemouth Bass

What is the easiest way to tell a Spot from a LMB?

We aren't supposed to have spotted bass in Japan (at least not where I live), but I've encountered a few LMB-looking fish with tiny mouths....  Looked like a LMB with the mouth of a SMB.... Maybe they were a mix of Spotted Bass and Largemouth.... Mmmm...

the dorsal fins will be connect on a spotted bass and not on a large mouth bass, and the jaw on a spot dose not go pass the eye and on a large mouth it dose, and a spot fights a hole lot harder also LOL. ;D

Spots have a "tongue patch" a small area of rough surface on the tongue just past halfway back. Largemouths have a smooth tongue. Easiest way I know.  They just don't look the same when they get above 12" or so, but it takes a while to get it down.

Thnx for the replies!!!

Would they look similar enough for a casual "oh just another fish" guy like me to mistake a Spot for a Large?? Looked at quite a few photos. Some are quite distinct, others I couldnt tell the difference  ;D

As far as the fighting goes, Small>Spot>Large ?? Hmmmm..... They must be lazy..... Lmao :P