Sign in to follow this  
ScroGG ToGG

Are Bass Characteristics Consistent?

Ok my question comes from 2 different things.

1. Alot of bass fisherman will say, "the crankbaits wernt working on the lake today" but, doesnt each bass have a mind of there own? couldnt one bass steer shy of a certain bait, and then another bass could come along and take it?

2.I was bank fishing a jig yesterday, and a school of 3 bass came by, i cast past them, and slowly brought it up right in front of them. they couldnt have cared less. Then 30 minutes later, in the same location, another school came by, and i di the EXACT same thing, and i caught a nice fish. what does this say? :-? i have no clue.

It simply says that not all bass are eating or even thinking of eating at the same time.

Please spend some of your hard earned money and purchase these three videos:

Bigmouth

Bigmouth Forever

Feeding Habits of Bass

You will find the key to your query and a lot more of interesting information about bass in these presentions.

Call 800/661-4286 and order them from Mrs. Lau.

The photography is outstanding and the information priceless.

Please spend some of your hard earned money and purchase these three videos:

Bigmouth

Bigmouth Forever

Feeding Habits of Bass

You will find the key to your query and a lot more of interesting information about bass in these presentions.

Call 800/661-4286 and order them from Mrs. Lau.

The photography is outstanding and the information priceless.

Good reply.....

We must first understand what we pursue and it's habits before we can capture it...............

Those vids are worth far more than you can buy them for.

Thanks for the info, sounds like it is worth looking into.

I believe many times we give bass a little to much credit.  I dont believe they really "think" at all.

Moreso they react.  They react and respond to whats happening around them.  They react to a change in the oxygen content, and move.  The react to the temperature of the water, and go deeper.  

They react to the fact that shad are congregating and moving alot, so they hit cranks.  

So to say "bass aren't hitting cranks today" is basically saying that the conditions and counter-actions of the fish don't envolve hitting moving baitfish.  

If a bass thinks all that much, why would he ever hit a pink worm?  Has he ever seen a pink worm?  No, he just reacts to it as a potential to satisfy some hunger and hits it whether it's black, blue, white, or pink.  Shades is another subject all together.

Yes, they have minds of their own, but all bass in a body of water are likely to react in similar fashions, as they are being affected by the same environment.

Sounds good anyway.....lol

Sirmo

Here I come with some more science.

1. Fish area product of their environment- they cant change it so they react to it

2. People Make their environment a product of preference- We change our environment to suit us

SO

We dont normally "think" like a bass "thinks".

We get hungry we go get food.

A bass gets hungry they do what they can to preserve their current energy supplies until a meal becomes available.

So are bass characteristics consistant?

YES they are, but consistant doesnt mean the SAME actions from every fish

The fish that will survive will exhibit similar characteristics under similar environmental circumstances.

Even further than that...big fish will exhibit similar behavior, but different than little fish

The more and I learn about bass the less I find I know, so I do different things as I learn more about the response of fish to environmental variables