Sign in to follow this  
BucketmouthAngler13

pitching and flipping?

Pitching is basically an underhand cast.  Flipping is here you have a fixed amount of line out.

Matt,

Pitching is kind of an under hand cast where you hold the lure in your opposite hand and release it to swing like a pendulum with your free spool held with your thumb. You  release thumb pressure on the spool as the lure swings forward and control the line delivery to land the bait gently and accurately.

Flippin is stripping line with your opposing hand, swinging the lure toward the target and paying the line out as it swings forward with your opposing hand. I hope this makes sense.

There is not a whole lot of difference in the two methods. They are both intended for close quarters and delicate presentation. Both are deadly for catching fish. I use a 7 1/2' flippin stick for both techniques. I flip & pitch worms, jigs, frogs and even spinnerbaits. Some anglers use a short (5 1/2') heavy stick for pitching Hank Parker for example. I am building a short stick to replace an old Hank Parker Jig & Pig rod.

I LOVE PITCHING!

Ronnie