Sign in to follow this  
jomatty

winter pond fishing

hey guys im starting to think of winter and need some advice.  in the past i have not fished that much in the winter and all of my winter fishing has been confined to large lakes and rivers.  this past summer i have discovered some good ponds near my house that i have fished  a lot.  these ponds are shallow (never deeper than 8-10 ft.), and are absolutely choked with weeds.  i generally have caught fish using only frogs (hollow and soft plastic) and weightless plastics.  im curious how winter will affect fishing in these small ponds and small ponds in general.  will it be next to impossible to fish in the winter?  i have tried to fish weighted soft plastics and jigs (from very light split shots all the way to very heavy pegged tungsten) and have had very very little success. there is no open areas under the surface weeds and the weeds cover the entire bottom of the pond.  this makes punching through and yo yoing impossible and really seems to make fishing weighted baits unproductive.  generally my go to winter bait is a fairly large jig n pig worked painfully slowly, or a c-rig (although like i said i havent done a ton of winter fishing).  what would you guys suggest in this particular pond and how does winter usually affect small shallow ponds in general.

matt

Where I live at, Winter usually effects small ponds by freezing them over.  ;)

Ice fishing is a blast but if your ponds do not freeze over I would suggest a suspending jerk bait with some long pauses.