Sign in to follow this  
RODBENDER

my favorite lake is called the DEAD SEA

I've heard Bluff Lake called the DEAD SEA for a long time now but this year it made it to the internet .

All the flat shallow water is really hard to fish and it's stocked with Florida strain ..

This picture is Loakfoma Lake just across the road from Bluff ..

It was drained this summer to try to control the vegetation ..

Check out this link and read the thread ...

http://www.mdwfp.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21196

this picture was taken from the levee i was standing in one of the deepest places in the lake

post-5695-130163005313_thumb.jpg

I find that sad, more people better start sticking up for our enviromental standards and fresh water control programs or this sport will just get worse. Expecially with all the new people getting into fishing with half of them being dips killing Bass, taking hawgs out and ruining waters. What a waste.. I know this is america, I know you have the right to keep your catches but if your doing something other then eating them (Bass isnt the best tasting fish) your gonna hear my mouth and hear it loud. Sorry for your loss if it is one to you.

What if someone was pulling big bass out of one body of water to stock another?  Would that be OK?

Ofcourse it would.. unless your completely emptying out a body of water which isnt that hard to do in some places. As a matter of fact, thats exactly what I did when a group of guys cleared my honey hole out in my backyard.

Guest avid

I'm really glad to see this thread.  This board is full of C&R fisherman and I am one of them.  But the truth is that the biggest threat to bass fishing is habitat destruction not overfishing.  In Florida there is a constant battle going on in this area.  

Keeping our waters healthy is a high priority for us.  We need to let our politicians know that we fish and we vote.

another bad thihg about the draining of Loakfoma was that at least 50% of the fish died ..

They thought the fish would go down the creek and eventually end up in the Tenn-Tom Waterway and other creeks ..When the fish started going out they piled up in the first few hundred yards of the creek ...

fisherman caught a lot of them , birds , coons , mink , otter and alligators ate many of them ...which is ok i think but when the oxygen levels started falling the fish began to die ..At this point the lake officals

began telling fisherman to dip them with nets or whatever ....This is a national refuge , these biologist

are supposed to be trained professionals .....they should have known these fish were going to die ..

I feel like they could have come up with a better plan ...

here is another link about the draining ....

http://www.mdwfp.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20294

What if someone was pulling big bass out of one body of water to stock another? Would that be OK?

If you're planning on doing this, you may want to check your local regulations. This is not OK (illegal) in many places. This is a practice best left to the professional fisheries management people. There are many documented cases of fisheries being seriously damaged, or ruined, by well-meaning anglers upsetting the ecological balance of small waters by introducing a new species to the mix. Better to leave well enough alone, if you don't know what you're doing, and, if you're not a marine biologist, you don't know what you're doing.

H'mm, I've just re-read this, and it sounds a bit on the harsh side. I don't intend to offend anybody with this. It's just that I got a good reaming from a game warden a few years ago, for doing exactly that. He got right in my face. I knew what he'd had for lunch. Hell, I knew what he had for breakfast. The lesson stuck. Sorry for the rant. Hope I didn't tick anybody off.

Anyway, several have made the real point. Habitat protection and enviromental issues are what we really need to be concerned about. I'm 54, and there is a heck of lot less water to fish now than there was when I was 20. Let your local congressman know what you think. And, if you don't vote, you can't *****.

Good luck,

GK

What if someone was pulling big bass out of one body of water to stock another? Would that be OK?

If you're planning on doing this, you may want to check your local regulations. This is not OK (illegal) in many places. This is a practice best left to the professional fisheries management people. There are many documented cases of fisheries being seriously damaged, or ruined, by well-meaning anglers upsetting the ecological balance of small waters by introducing a new species to the mix. Better to leave well enough alone, if you don't know what you're doing, and, if you're not a marine biologist, you don't know what you're doing.

H'mm, I've just re-read this, and it sounds a bit on the harsh side. I don't intend to offend anybody with this. It's just that I got a good reaming from a game warden a few years ago, for doing exactly that. He got right in my face. I knew what he'd had for lunch. Hell, I knew what he had for breakfast. The lesson stuck. Sorry for the rant. Hope I didn't tick anybody off.

Anyway, several have made the real point. Habitat protection and enviromental issues are what we really need to be concerned about. I'm 54, and there is a heck of lot less water to fish now than there was when I was 20. Let your local congressman know what you think. And, if you don't vote, you can't *****.

Good luck,

GK

I agree completely, although I have stocked a pond it was completely dry aside from a couple unwanted pike. Taking Bass from all over and stocking it in one body of water isnt the best idea. Disease is common and will spread faster then then flu does in humans. I also took great care not to ruin its enviroment as well just to save another. I ended up taging multiple fish then taking half of them out. Read my pond rejuvination storys.