Sign in to follow this  
Bassassasin12

fall turnover pond

how does the cold weathe effect small ponds that are between an acre or two in size with little structure other than cattails and some grass along the sides. I fish this pond at least 3 times a week and have only got 4 bites in the past 5 days, and all these fish I missed. I just cant figure out where they are. I can even see some nice fish but they seem so lethargic. After I have already worked the area over real good I will walk around to access another area and then I look down and see where I was fishing there was 2-3 bass sitting right there. I am throwing all the usual biats for fall... x rap, cranks, flukes, fat ikas, jigs even a spinnerbait from time to time. I just can't figure them out, I always thought I knew this water fairly well?

IM having the same problem the pond is about the same size and i havent cought a fish for about 6 days than yesterday i misssed a bunch of bites than landed a little tiny dink, i hope the fising pickes up soon

i have a pond down the road from my house that i fish every day after school i usally get  7-8 fish every time i go.but  in the last 2 weeks i have caught 3 fish all on a buzzbait really close to the bank and next to the only tree in the lake and to my suprize they were all bigger than the other fish i have caught there before i dont know what brought them towards the bank in cold water or even why i have never caught one that big before but i would try useing top water if you can see them close to the bank even tho the water temps have dropped.

ive been having the same experience.  i think it has to do with the temperatures not settling at all.  for what you described i would def. downsize and slow down.  something like a roboworm on a dropshot or finesse jig worked really slowly.  maybe a wacky senko making sure to deadstick it for a fairly long period.

im having trouble putting together a fall pattern in the ponds i fish.  i also wonder if the faster moving baits like jerkbaits and such are as effective in ponds where the fish dont have schools of shad to chase.  just seems like im not having much luck with anything but senkos and ikas.

jomatty I have been trying out jerks and cranks with no success. The primary forage in the pond is crawfish I think and I am not sure how big a bass has to be to eat 4-8 inch bluegills so they might feed on those. I can't set a pattern up and can't even find the fish. In the summer I had a real good pattern of fishing the shade parts of the pond and the edges of cat tails with soft plastics but that just isnt doing it anymore. I tryed t rigging to cover water while fishing a soft plastic and only landed one 2 lbr.