Sign in to follow this  
Shimano-king

I can't catch a thing!!!!!!!!!

Today as well as last sat, I took a fishing trip with my buddy to a nearby lake called Lake Folsom.  Both times we fished for a good 5 hours until we lost all hope!  I have been bassing for 10 years or so, and I just dont get why All I had today was one measly bite.  I have a small 12' boat with a slow slow 2hp johnson, no fish finder.  I do the best to vary my retreivals, colors, baits, sizes, and cover.  Folsom Is fairly low now and has no creek beds or coves in the area accesable with my boat which is a 10-15 mile stretch of land.  There are nearly no vegitation structures, and barley any rocky points or submerged walls.  I do my best to use the submerged rock structures and rock faces protruding into the water, but no fish.  Folsom's air temp is around 60-80 degrees, the water is clear with a slight green stain, and the bass that I have seen from looking off the side of the boat were around 10' down, and looked sluggish.  The baits I used were, chrome and blue rattle traps, watermelon or brown cenkos, chartruse gold bladed spinner baits, clown jerk baits, twin tail chartruse grubs, many varieties of majic worms, and assorted shallow to deep diving craink baits(which have been sugested to me before, but I have no luck with them...EVER).  Someone please help me, I know the bite is slowing down now that it is fall, but I need some fish in the boat!  :'(

Keep throwing.  Everyone gets in a funk at one time or another.  If I were you I would stick with the senko.  It will catch when others cant.  One thing to is line.  That water sounds crystal clear if your seeing fish 10' down.  Try using flourocarbon because its nearly invisible under water.

Don't feel too bad like you're the only one in a funk.  Me and my partner can't seem to get a handle on the local lake.  It's huge, full of fish but it is one of the toughest lakes to fish because the stripper keeps the size of the largemouth down to under 18" or less.  If you ever find one up to 4-8lbs, it's a rare fish from what I hear.

We have gone out several times this summer.  We are both somewhat beginners and we've fished everything but a kitchen sink with a blade on it.  You name the color, we've tried it.  Name a brand of worm and I bet we've got it or close to it.  Spinnerbaits?  We have plenty of colors and sizes.  My partner hates crank baits but I caught the one fish out of an 11 hour trip.  A front moved in and the fish disappeard.  When we did find any hanging tight to structure or drops, they were 30-45ft. down.  Only way to fish that with high winds is a dropshot.  We've never dropshot fished so we passed that up.  We used jigs instead and a yo-yo type but no dice.

All I can say is hang in there and keep at it.  The clear flourocarbon line makes a big difference.  Also be as quiet as possible, don't bang the boat, cast as far as possible.  Seems like every fish I have caught have struck the bait well away from the boat.  NEVER near the boat.  I think the trolling motor may be spooking them.

Shimano I live less than 10 miles from Folsom! It is a real tough lake. When I first got into bassing seriously a few years ago, it was my usual lake. It is real hot and cold. I almost never fish it anymore. Having said that, my previous PB of 7.5 came out of Folsom while I was fishing on shore. Most of what you will catch there are spots in the 1.5-2.5 lb range. They are real mean and fight well. My advice to you this time of year is to do a few things. Run up the north arm and fish the western side of the arm. Fish mostly points and the boulder fields. Right now I would recomend using dart heads on spinning gear with 4.5-6 inch straight tail worms. favorite colors are green weenie, oxblood lite, and aarons magic. fish slowly working downhill from 5 feet to 25 feet. You WILL catch some fish. You could also dropshot the same worms. Also a favorite of mine at that lake is fishing the "changes" in shoreline. IE where it goes from rocky to muddy, or gravely to boulder filled. You need to fish the precise seam. I don't know why, but they really key in on these areas. The other major style to pursue is shad eaters. Right now they are balled up in open water about 10-40 feet down. With a reliable graph you should be able to find shad balls with some fat mean spots working the bait. If they are busting on top, although it is a little early, try a spook, sammy, or popper in some sort of shad color or ghost minnow (LC). The ripbait bite is better if they are down to about 10 ft. staysees are my bait in ghost minnow. Any deeper and I typically spoon them. A 1/2oz silver kastmaster should do it. She is a tough lake for me and many others, but it is the type of lake that once you start to figure it out, you can usually scrape up a few fish, with 30 fish days and 5 lb fish an occasional bonus. Wish you well bud, if I can help anymore let me know.

FB

What can I say? Its not everyday that someone off of an international forum talks about my backyard! There are some toads to be found in that lake, record is around 15 I think, but it's a tough lake, thats for sure.