Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Does anyone carry/ever use....

Anyone carry or use a Marine Magnet in thier boat?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0002062010287a.shtml

I just bought one today. Its super strong(I believe it will pick up up to 110lbs) and weighs 3-4 lbs itself. I wanna try trolling it along the bottom to see just what kind of things I can retrieve that have been lost overboard. Who knows maybe ill pull up some crankbaits that need a good cleaning and just thier hooks replaced. It might be interesting to see what I pull up. What is everyones thoughts on this? I used one at Belton Lake In Texas to retrieve a snap-on Ratchet,extension and socket a guy lost overboard when he was tuning his boat .

Thats awesome dude.  Just make sure to not put it up to your electric stuff like an iPod or cell phone.

should find some nice objects and some not so nice.....I remember lifting about a 5lb magnet from Earth Science 15 years ago....thought I'd use it for all kinds of stuff but only used it to fool with company when they'd come over :: hey bet you can't pick up that metal bar off the table....oh yea how much?::   :D

While working for a past employer, we used rare-earth magnets that were icredably strong for their weight and size - not to mention expensive.  I would strongly advise you to keep your credit cards at least three feet away from the magnet.

Good idea, be sure to post pictures of what you find.

Last year I was fishing at a local lake over my lunch hour and noticed this guy trolling around in circles - I could see he was dragging something and thought maybe he had an aqua view of somethning -- after a while he came closer to where I was fishing from the bank and told me he had dropped a rod/reel out of his boat the day before and was searching for it with a magnet.  When he pulled it up, there was a bass hooked on the spinner bait  :D  Probably a pretty cool idea if you want to take the time away from fishing, no telling what you might find -- Jimmy Hoffa is still out there somewhere.

He doesn't use a magnet, but the local TV channel had a little thing on a guy that scuba dives on the bottom of "party cove" at Lake of the Ozarks.  Amazing some of the stuff he finds.  Besides tons on beads, he's found quite a bit of expensive jewelry, watches, lawn chairs, you name it.  

I would definitely drag that magnet around any and all swimming beaches, around public boat docks and boat ramp courtesy docks.  

Went out and tried it today. Got stuck on something metal wedged in the rocks at the dam on the lake. I ended up puilling it free though. I just couldnt pry myself away from fishing long enough to monkey around with that Magnet. Theres always next time though. When I make a decent discovery,I will be sure to post it here.

Went out and tried it today. Got stuck on something metal wedged in the rocks at the dam on the lake. .

Wonder what happens if you get it stuck onto a car or a metal drain cover? Something that ain't coming up. Maybe even a lost boat engine.

Although you might be able to get an engine up.