Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

Tips for a fall newbie

I have never fished in the fall. I just got my liscense this year, so i can drive myself to the lake. Before, my dad would do it but hes caught up in deer hunting. Anyways, this lake is usually very weedy around the shorelines. A majority of the water is deep, around 20 ft. or more, but im not sure because i dont have electronics on my boat. Most of the shorelines are fairly steep, going from 0-15' in about 20 yards. I did well in a couple of spots during the summer that are about 6-7' deep and have a different type of weed (a little thinner). There is a very well protected inlet with a creek, and good channels and coves. Any advice is welcome. Keep in mind i live in michigan, and the temps have been 40 or less for quite some time now.

Weightless Plastics are working great. However if your fishing 20ft waters a slow worked C-rig should work great. Use 7" zoom Trick Worm texas rigged, with a 1oz weight.

For the shallows try some tubes. rig them snagless for the weeds.

Just got back from the lake. I was off on the depths a little. Almost ALL of the shorelines go from 0-20 ft. within 10 yards, and if it doesnt, there are an extreme amount of dieing weeds. We got a couple of bites on senkos, shakey head trick worms, and a craw on a shakey head. All fish were either missed on the hookset or threw us off. (its been a couple months since last time is was fishing) This is a tough lake all year, and these late fall patterns are killing me! Some guys caught some (including a hefty 5lber.) on medium diving cranks in about 20ft of water.

Try some deep diving crank baits .run them down the steep banks . bass should be staging along leadges and drop offs

On a sidenote- You aren't fishing 40 degree water alone are you?  Let's use our heads out there.  As these water temps drop, the danger level rises.

SAFETY FIRST!

On a sidenote- You aren't fishing 40 degree water alone are you? Let's use our heads out there. As these water temps drop, the danger level rises.

SAFETY FIRST!

Very true. You can even die quickly of hypothermia in 65-degree water. So use your head and don't go out alone.

Just got back from the lake. I was off on the depths a little. Almost ALL of the shorelines go from 0-20 ft. within 10 yards, and if it doesnt, there are an extreme amount of dieing weeds. We got a couple of bites on senkos, shakey head trick worms, and a craw on a shakey head. All fish were either missed on the hookset or threw us off. (its been a couple months since last time is was fishing) This is a tough lake all year, and these late fall patterns are killing me! Some guys caught some (including a hefty 5lber.) on medium diving cranks in about 20ft of water.

Look for the steepest drop off you can find, and run a jig, c-rig or t-rig along or up it. Nice and slow for cold water. That should land some bass.

Also try a buzzbait over the weeds. That could bring up some strikes. However, if the water is really cold bass are not as likely to strike a fast moving topwater bait, such as the buzzbait. But you have to try to see.

If you get some hits on the buzzbait, then try a shad colored Ratt-L-trap over the weeds. Also running a weightless tube or lizzard over the weedbed can be deadly.

Thats what i would do. ;)

Matt

Well keep in mind first safety of course but knowing all young men that is not very high in your priority list. Look for creek channels and also the deep weed edges. Here is a rule for finding those, in a dark lake weed only grow to about 8 feet, mid clarity 12 and in clear water 18-20. As the shallow weeds start to die off they cease to make oxygen and instead produce CO2. This will push bass into deeper water. During this time of the year try shad looking baits and a horizontal approach. Bass are on their fall feeding binges and will be getting it on by now.  When this doesn't work try slow presentations and especailly a craolina rig. It forces you to slow down. And if all else fails dead stick em'. This site has more than enough pages on those  techniques but get a temp on the water of the lake you are fishing and I will give you a good heads up on my solution. Tell you what just apply the FLP pformula to it and you are set!

Peter

Okay, let me sum some things up. First of all, im not implying that i got my liscense and now i fish by myself. I love to, but its not always logical, or safe. Next, i know that i could distinguish some bottom features, but i have a really tough time since its always windy and i have no electronics. All of the bites i had were in less than 10' of water, on what seemed to be weed edges. Fishin Phil- I am dying to get a les paul dc, but the money i would need just isnt coming! An one last question- should i be looking for bass grouping up? If i catch one is there a good chance there will be more there? Thanks.

Well yes there is a chance that you will be able to catch more than one fish in an area. Even when bass scatter in transitional periods they still form schools, all be it small ones.

If you tried deep divng crank baits on the drop offs with no results, then you might switch to a slow dead sticking pattern with a soft plastic. I would go with a very bulky bait, for two reasons, first off the fish may be starting to really slow down and take on their winter patterns. This will start the fish to taking only the larger baits as a rule of thumb, because they aren't as likely to take small baits because the mount of energy they would have to exert. In other words if they are going to bother to move to take prey they are going to prefer larger prey because it is more bang for the buck!

I would also suggest a large single spin colorado bladed spinner bait that you can slow roll on the flats and helicopter on the drop offs. Try slow movig large jigs. These are also very productive. And since you have no electronics, use a carolina rig in new areas since it keeps bottom contact the entire time it is fished. There are signs of creek channels such as old trees that are still standing, look for the cove or bay that may have been created.

Remember that since the Co2 levels in the dying weeds are up to go to where the weeds are green. Also in a clutch try the shallow areas with a sand or rock bottom, bass will sometimes move to those locations in order to sun. The are also ussually actively feeding, but beware they are easily spooked!

Apply the FLP formula to the situation, buy a pool thermometer and see what the water tem is that day, suspend it on some twine about two feet beow the surface for the best reading.

Remember that water will act as insulation the deeper you go down. The pool thermometer is to see what temp the bass are living in this will determine their actions. Read up on this topic, I would say it would be easy to find on the net. That is the F section.

L- examine your lake, draw a map, buy one, what ever and learn how the bottom contour works. Understand the structure and bottom content. How do these things effect bass behavior. Bass will relate differentl to wood than they do weed or rocks.

P- match a presentation that best fits the situation you are faced with.

F+L+P= Success

Here is a basic fall pattern that bass world wide relate to. Fish will move from the depths to the flats as they day progresses. Try slow moving jigs and carolina rigs  during mid day and the spinners and cranks about mid afternoon and spend the evening in the shallows. Remember keep it slow!

Have fun and take it easy, oh and do take a bud, new ideas and good company are always good, and it makes the trip safer.

Peter