Sign in to follow this  
Hillbilly_Hooker

Winter fishing - Staying warm

Our last club tournament of the year was last weekend and the morning launch temps were in the upper 20s, plus the first day had the extra added benefit of 15-20mph winds.  After racking my brain before we left about what to wear to stay warm, I finally realized that I have a 1-piece insulated suit for motorcycle riding.   Most of our guys have insulated hunting bibs, jackets, work coveralls, etc., but mine was the only suit there that was also waterproof.  I stayed warm both days and had a great time (winning the tournament helped too!).

For anyone fishing year-round, I would recommend checking with your local motorcycle/ATV/snowmobile shop for these types of suits.  They are insulated, waterproof, and easy in and out of.  You'll likely find they're also less expensive than high-end rain gear offered by BPS, Cabelas, etc.

Hope my suggestion helps,

Hillbilly

I would say that that is a great idea! I use sailing suits. It is easy to move in them and they are made for water, you can check your local West Marine and/or Boaters' World for them. Those things are tops!

I would like to add that as soon as temps start to drop that it is imparative for all of us to take care of ourselves. Luckily I live in LA (lower Alabama) so these things aren't ussually a big deal. Sometimes they are though and I know alot of guys on this forum know what it is to fall in the water on an ice cold day.

Guest avid

those one peice insulated suits you wear for trail riding in snow are about the warmest things going.

I think RW has one on in his avatar

I think RW has one on in his avatar    

RW has Cabelas guide gear on