Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

Bat Wing Frog?

A few years ago I bought some of these Bat Wing Frogs! But I never fished them, I just pulled them out of the bottom of my tackle bag today, I forgot all about them. I know they will dry out if you don't seal the bag good but, what I would like to know if it was a flash in the pan type of bait or do people still fish them because you never hear anyting about them! :'(

I used them and liked them much better for flippin and pitchin.....I know that was not it's design purpose but it fit my standard for flippin baits and worked just fine.  It's my opinion that it was a stronger bait for that purpose than a top water application and possibly should have been marketed as such. Bet they smell real good now  ;D

Big O

ww.ragetail.com

I used to fish them and caught some fish. T-rigged with a 1/8oz. sinker worked best for me.

post-7272-130162880196_thumb.jpg

I used them and liked them much better for flippin and pitchin.....I know that was not it's design purpose but it fit my standard for flippin baits and worked just fine. It's my opinion that it was a stronger bait for that purpose than a top water application and possibly should have been marketed as such. Bet they smell real good now ;D

Big O

ww.ragetail.com

I will give that a try! Do you feel you did better flippin & pitchin fishing the Bat wing or other baits?

Bassman....there are so many excellent flippin baits out there and most are basically drawing a reaction strike for you. The Bat wing is a small compact design and with 3/8 or heavier pegged weight it has decent action as well. If you look at he overall size it is very similar to beaver and creature style baits which are very popular in todays flippin market.

The fall is relatively fast depending on the weight used and will get the job done for you in most circumstances. As often as not the fish will look for a slightly slower fall and you can lighten up as needed. When the fish are looking for both slow fall and high action you might want to change it up a bit.

Hope that helps

Big O

www.ragetail.com

I've seen on a fishing show, someone (I forget who) was using them as a trailer on a swim jig, and swimming em. He produced fairly well, but who doesn't on those shows  ::). I guess if you have a pack its worth giving a try.

I have never bought a pack, so I myself cannot say anything about em. They just didn't look to "good" in my eyes to try, I don't know, just didn't get a positive vibe from em when I would see them  ;).

Big=O, thanks for all the info and everyone else. I will give it a shot and if I don't like them,I can always give them away!

What is the preferred hook size for this bait?

When I fished it, 4/0 ewg worked well for most applications.

Big O

www.ragetail.com