Sign in to follow this  
Manigotapee

Need help with lipless baits (Red Eye Shad)

Hey guys,

I have been catching some good fish on lipless baits, and I wanted to try the red eye shad. I am ripping it through grass in around 6 feet of water. I am having a heck of a time keeping this bait upright. It always seems to want to come in sideways. KVD shows him violently ripping the bait throught the grass in order to "clear" the bait. When i do that, the bait stays on it's side and has really bad movement till I can get it back and clear the grass by hand. Maybe I should use the bigger/heavier model. Not sure at the moment. Could it be line twist or something not related to the bait?

Thanks guys, for now i'll stick with the rat-l-traps until I get these Red Eyes figured out!

TW

i have used 2 different rods,   a 6'6" Kistler flipping stick (good backbone)  and a 6'6" BPS Cranking stick MH action.  I throw my traps on 12-15lb mono, depending on the water conditions....

maybe I should throw flouro?

6' 6" MH rods are fine.

Go to 7'+ for longer casts.

I use 20 pound mono on a Curado 200E5.

Swing rod to left or right when setting hook.

Some guys like braid as you can feel the baits better.

Just as long as you can feel the vibrations you are fine.

You can also go with a finesse crankbait application with small lipless baits and light line on a spinning rig.

Everyone throws their lipless cranks a little different so you need to experiment and find the best combination for your type of fishing.

Post pics after you catch 'em.  ;)

One more thing.

KVD removes the rear hook off his lipless cranks to fish in the grass and replaces the front hook with a large #2.

Give that a try, too.

You can also remove the front hook when bed fishing and let the crank just sit, nose down, in the nest until the bass tries to pick it up and move it out of the nest.

The rear hook will catch him.  ;)

Your rods seem to have enough power to rip through the grass. My guess is you just got a dud. I've had to weed through some myself. Finding a good one though is worth it  ;)