Sign in to follow this  
brgbassmaster

fishing in the sun

ok when i lived in michigan it was cloudy and rainy alot so we could catch bass shallow all day and big bass.  now that i have moved tonew mexico theres no such thing as cloudy. if you catch bass shallow either its morning dusk or a cloud goes in front of the sun for 4 minutes. seriously if the sun goes out for like 4 minutes youll catch like 3 bass but the sun doesnt go behind much. i was jw how you would fish for bass if you cant find them shallow during the day i know how to fish weedy points like in michigan but rocky and woody i cant seem to get  bit. i also dont have a depth finder. so if you guys had any tips that would  be nice. most of the points in the lake i am talking about are really rocky and drop off quickly. please give me some ideas. now take me back to michigan me and my tournament buddy couldnt go a day with out at least 10 keepers. i am having a problem with southern lakes.

Generally, if you find shade, you found fish.  Docks, overhanging trees, laydowns, lilly pads, vegetation...anything like that works.  Current is another overlooked factor.  Current cools water down and bass can be found near it waiting for easy meals to float by.  The other thing you want to look for is depth.  When there is no shade, bass will go deep and you'll have to adjust your tactics to target them.

I usually try to locate deeper structure as this happens.  But the heat usually gets to me before it does the fish.

I fish lower lake waters most of the time to avoid traffic and other fishermen.  Those areas are devoid of cover except rocks.  The water is clear and when the sun is out the fish leave the bank.

I fish a lot of jigs (football heads don't get hung up as much in rocks) and tubes.  I also t rig craws.  It isn't unusual to find fish in the 30' range so just back off the bank and fish those points till you find out where the fish are located.  They will usually be around the points if not right on them.

You say that if it getcloudy for 3 or 4 minutes you get bites. that shows that the fish are there, they dont just automatically rush in to the banks every time a cloud passes in front of the sun. If you want to keep fishing shallow pay attention to the types of areas that you catch them. Target those same types of areas when the sun is out, try using a twin bladed buzzbait which you can work over/past your target very slowly, if that fails add a pork frog or bulky plastic frog and you will be able to slow it down to almost a crawl. Also you can try a jitterbug fished slow enough to hear the plop, plop, plop. Something about those slow moving noisy surface lures drives those bass crazy. All the areas mentioned by Aint Texan can be very productive. If you cant bring them out of cover by going past the ambush points with those baits, try skipping a Senko type bait under the docs or onder overhanging trees. If that isn't working for you move off the bank and give drop shotting a try. Don't give up, just hit high percentage areas and be creative, and dont forget to save up for a good good depth finder.

GO DEEP!!!

Personally, the description of the points sounds like the perfect place for draggin' a jig.

This change will definitely make you a better angler either way.  When you go back home (to visit or whatever), you'll find fish in places on your old lakes that you probably never paid attention to.  You'll have "new eyes" in other words.  Good stuff, stay on it.

I would say you need to go to one of those spots where you occassionally catch them shallow and paralell the bank with a spinnerbait just above the bottom.  Start shallow, and work your way deeper.  Be consistent about counting down your bait to get a good idea of how deep you are fishing at all times.  When you finally catch one note the depth the fish was at when it hit, and fish around that depth in other areas of the lake.

My suggestion would be to go with the most realistic bait you have, downsize, and go slow, maybe even deadstick.     Bass see things better when its brighter out and get more finicky about what they will bite.