Sign in to follow this  
koko36265

Severe heat and no sign of relief

I live in North Alabama.... It has been a record setting 100 degree's here for over 2 weeks..... The heat index has been anywhere from 105 to 120 degree's... Wednesday the actual temp is suppose to be 104 without the heat index... .... We are 25 - 30 inches below average rain fall and are labeled in the most severe category for rain fall.... It is really getting bad around here... Local individually owned ponds are drying up and fish are dying left and right... The past few times I have been to the lake the water temp. reaches well over 90 degree's by noon. .... The local weather forecasters say there is no rain in sight.... We are actually glad that it might get down to 99 this Saturday..... I know a lot of people on here especially road warrior says they have caught their PB in this heat of the summer, but in this kind of heat? I mean the Sahara desert has gotten more rain than we have had this year... Is there even any point in fishing in this kind of heat other than early morning and some evenings? Does a big swing like this change the bass's normal habits? I am 23 years old and can't remember it ever being this bad.....  

If you can stand the heat the fish will bite all day off and on, but the heat does make it pretty miserable. Wish I could send you some of the rain we have been getting-we had constant rain most of June and July and last week the remnants of Tropical Storm Erin dumped between 5 and 10 inches across south central Texas. Most of the ramps on the area lakes are closed due to high water.

If you do fish during the heat of the day get away from the bank-they go deep during the heat of the day.

Something to think about with the low waters you are experiencing.

It's a good time to go out and take a look at the cover around the shoreline. When you are out fishing later you will know EXACTLY what you are fishing.

Personally, some of my best fishing is in lakes that are low. The fish have less room to hide. Make good use of your electronics and contour maps and you can find the fish conentrated in numbers you haven't seen before.

When the lakes up a lot, I have problems.