Sign in to follow this  
outdoorkc

Solunar Tables

I have always followed the adage that the best time to go fishing is any chance you get. With that said, I have been wondering if the solunar tables really have any effect on the feeding habits of fish in lakes and reservoirs. From what I understand, the solunar tables are based around tide changes and can influence fish habits on tidal creeks.

As a new bass fisher any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You are probably going to get a lot of differing opinions on this.  I believe that the bigger the body of water the more effect the solar/lunar tables have.  However, weather will always trump them in my opinion.  I try to pay as little attention to them as possible.  I don't want to know that it a poor solar/lunar day right after a cold front with bluebird skys.  It just gives you one more excuse not to catch fish, and confidence trumps both weather and solar/lunar tables.  I think they are a good tool when you are planning a special trip months in advance, but other than that probably should be ignored in day to day fishing.  Just get on the water.

Sorry.  I didn't notice this was your first post.  Welcome to the forums.  You will be amazed how much you can learn here.

Thanks, Matt. Of the fish I have caught so far they haven't corresponded with the best, or worst, times according to the tables. As a bank fisherman the ones that I have landed have been at either sun-up, or sun-down. ( I still haven't built up the tolerance to withstand the brutal 95+ heat in the middle of the day. :)

I'll just keep going when I can and keep practicing.

Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to the best fishing site on the web.

I use them.  I find that work for deer.  I want to be in the woods when the magicial hour occur.  I also want to be on my best spot when fishing.

Kelley

I go fishing when I can but I'm completely aware of what the moon is doing at all times  ;)

Thanks Triton and Catt for the welcome.  I have absorbed so much useful info in the short time I've been on this site.  I'll definitely be spending a lot of time on here.

Today i saw the moon and the sun at @ 10am(sun rises @ 7am).....i don't think i ever seen the moon and sun out at the same time before.

Guest avid

Like most folks, I fish when I can.

It's logical since the tides are controlled by the moon, that anything water related would have to influenced by it.

Personally I do not find it be a "stand alone" solution.

Today i saw the moon and the sun at @ 10am(sun rises @ 7am).....i don't think i ever seen the moon and sun out at the same time before.

This happens numerous times through out the month; at times the moon will actually rise & set during the day

So, I'm wondering, do biologists believe that the sun/moon phases have a physiological affect on the bass that triggers them to be more aggressive during these so-called peak solunar times? Or, are they just whistlin' Dixie?? ;D

There have been numerous books, articles, charts, ect. Published on this great mystery of bass fishing. A lot of the authors of these publications go through great lengths explaining how difficult it is to determine these times. It is really quiet simple to determine these times for your self with a little inside information. River and salt water publications go through great lengths explaining how difficult it is to determine tidal movements. The reality is that these best times and tidal movements are related to the moon's phases.

People in animal husbandry, farming, hunting, and fishing have used the moons phases for centuries. One of the oldest publications giving this information is the "Poor Richard's Almanac". The moon's phases are divided into four quarters, two of which are your minor times, and two of which are your major times.

The times for the major periods are as follows

An hour and a half prior the moon reaching its apex

An hour and a half prior to the moon reaching its perigee

The major periods are the first quarter new moon and the third quarter full moon.

The gravitational pull of the sun and moon is three times greater on the new moon than the full moon. At the time of the new moon the earth has the moon and the sun in a straight line pulling together. This first quarter, dark night phase differs from the third quarter full moon phase when the earth moves between the moon and the sun. The new moon dark night is only difficult on the angler because you must rely on your sense of feel when working your bait. If you want to really learn how to fish baits that require a lot of feel like worm or jigs try nights.

The times for the minor periods of these moon phases are as follows

An hour and a half prior to the raising of the moon on the horizon.

An hour and a half prior to the setting of the moon.

Now take into consideration the above listed times you end up with 3 hrs. of major time periods and 3 hrs. of minor times periods. This does not take into account weather, seasons, or your ability to locate fish!

I have a fishing guide book that relies on the solunar tables, mixed with some other key factors for our area.  It's written by an elderly man, published by him and his wife out of their home, and I almost swear by it.  Granted he can't predict the weather, but he couples past weather trends with the solunar table, and then gives a guide that ties the barometric pressure into it.  If you follow his guide, it seems that it almost always produces for me within 30 minutes of what his peaks are.  If there's a dead spot on the day, I don't seem to catch much if any on that timeframe.  To prove to myself that it works, I make sure not to look at it now before I go fishing.  I record or remember the highlight times of my day, then compare it when I get home.  This guy is a genius fishing predictor for Kansas.  I'm sure some of you have heard of him... Bill Scheffler.  I have contact info. if anyone want's to PM me for it.

;)

Thanks Catt for the fantastic explanation of the moon phases!!  That was very informative, at least for me.

I think that I am going to start keeping a detailed account of my fishing trips to the lake, or even the small pond next to my house, and compare my  findings to the tables.

Thanks again.

Lunar phases are just one part to the equation; one must take into account weather, seasons, availability of food, or your ability to locate fish.  I normally prefer fishing during the full moon vs. the new moon even though the gravitational pull is three times greater during the new moon. It is more difficult to fish a new moon because it is harder to keep your boat off of stumps and it is harder for the bass & angler to connect. If I fish a new moon I will usually fish open water and avoid shoreline areas.

Catt, thanks for the info.  I just had to let you know that when I went to the pond by my house last night (around 8pm) I was able to catch a 10 inch LM on a Zoom trick worm, just twitching it under the surface.  I say this because according to the solunar tables the peak time for yesterday was from roughly 5pm to 8:30pm.  I had only been out there for about 15 min when this happened.

Knowing my luck it was just because it was dusk and that seems to be a favorable time for catching, but I'll take it!! ;D

You're the one who took the information put it to use, I just passed along what I was taught  ;)