Sign in to follow this  
AM

how would you approach this scenario ?

weather:

been 70's to 80's for a week or 2 during the day. this being after 100 plus for a month or so. 50's at night

spot showers going through thurs day .  fishing on fri and sat partly cloudy- sunny

water:

Lake wappapello , MO

resivoir off of the black river. has many creeks and a deep river chan running through it.

75 degrees , stained . probably a bit low

how would you handle this situation?

I am thinking shallow rocky banks and laydowns in the morning and deep along the river chan drop off in afternoon.

but tell me how you would approach this ?

Rocky banks will be warmer work them with crank baits early; then move deeper during the day with tube baits

If you'll find the bait,you'll find the fish.Baitfish should be back up in the creeks and/or bays.This is getting to be the time of year that bass are starting to feed up.Fish may feed in the shallows all day long.Simple observation should help.Or take a shortcut and go to the nearest tackle shop and ask how the fishing has been.

I was thinking the opposite from you guys...  We have had similar weather here in KY so I was realy interested to see what everyone said about this.  We basically had a cold spell for 1 1/2 weeks, and we'll be back up to 90 by the weekend. I'm going saturday, and to me it seems that summer patterns are still going to be the way to go.  Not necessarily the million mph shad chase that goes on in the fall.

So, can 2 weeks of cooler weather really send fish into a fall pattern permanently?

Rocky banks will be warmer work them with crank baits early; then move deeper during the day with tube baits

I agree, but maybe try some jigs in the deep water and move them along the bottom

So, can 2 weeks of cooler weather really send fish into a fall pattern permanently?

If you get a good change in water temps it will get them going. Once you get the water temps down a warm snap won't bring them back up that fast. They might slow down but they are still there.

I'm with CJ...you find the bait you'll find the fish.

Good luck :)

good advice. in general what is your take on water temp as far as gradient, in which the patterns of bass are affected. Meaning if your avg lake temp in the summer is 80's and the temp drops 10 deg. is that enough to usually start seeing the patterns of these fish change?

Meaning if your avg lake temp in the summer is 80's and the temp drops 10 deg. is that enough to usually start seeing the patterns of these fish change?

A 10 degree drop in the fall is what I look for. Shorter daylight hours is also key but that is already happening anyway so if you have a 10 degree drop from your summer temps they are more than likely in their fall pattern.

As I understand it, black bass are optimally active and feeding at around 75 or a bit cooler. The water here (a large river reservoir.) has just dropped below 80, and I expect the fall feeding frenzy to begin in earnest when the water temp drops a few more degrees.

During "transitions" between feeding trends and typical patterns, I always check my favorite deeper spots first, just to see if they are there, before heading to spots in skinnier water. Yesterday I spent an hour on 15-20' deep drop-offs and points, an hour on the same type structure at 10', and the last 45 minutes over a submerged grass bed at 4-7'. I caught zero the 1st hour, 2 the 2nd, and 10 (4 LM, 5 SM, and 1 bluegill) in the final 35 minutes over a 30' stretch of grass between a 14' small channel and the bank, with the main river channel (40+') about 50 yards away. All 10 at the last spot were caught on a Zara Puppy or a Pop-R.

From what I've experienced and read of others' experiences in MY area, I would suggest that the bass are moving up to feed in more shallow water than a typical summer pattern...work the edges of grass beds with deeper water nearby with shallow crankbaits, jerkbaits, senkos, and your favorite top-water lures.

And try what everone else said, too...keep at it with all you have until you find 'em and figure out what they want to hit. Go get'em and good luck!