Sign in to follow this  
Numpty

Small fish going after my line....

I searched all over and have found nothing on this.

When I am fishing my plastics I keep getting what seems to be a 1/2 decent hit...when I move my line/worm to feel for tension I am catching sight of what usually is a yellow perch, pulling on my line well above the worm.

I can actually see them suspended and playing with my line....

Is my Line too visible? (I am using 12 lb clear Trilene)

and I am assuming this is weakening my line as it happens constantly.....

Is this normal.....Should I be learning something from this?

I just do not have a clue.

Are you sure it is above the line? Perch, bluegill, all grab the ends of plastic tails and it just feels like a bass bite on speed. Your line should be fine.,

Are you sure it is above the line? Perch, bluegill, all grab the ends of plastic tails and it just feels like a bass bite on speed. Your line should be fine.,

Yeah I am sure it is above the worm....I know they go after the tail of the worm.....they do that too......

BUT I can actually see them about 3 feet down on maybe 8 feet of water.....taking the line in their mouth and swimming with it.

I get bream at the top and sometimes like a foot down popping at the line, but never had the swimming off with it.

Had that happen a few times especially If I was tight lining for cats.IMO your line is fine,and I believe It may have something to do with the very small amount of water displacement your line causes.These panfry are attracted to that, maybe thinking insects? or small larvae.Theyre not the the brightest bulbs to say the least.Have even had em smack the hooks on a super spook that is as big as them,kinda funny.They grab split shots and swivels too.

Actually this was a pattern that I used on my home lake a couple of years ago - I would see the small fish (in my case it was blue gill) playing with the line and some times even swimming off with it.  I just let 'em run and most times a bass would follow up and hit my worm.  It seemed like the bg's made 'em mad and they were trying to take the bait away from them.  Give it a try, but it does require some patience.

This actually happens to me very often, I use braided line(power pro microfilament), and it usually happens where the line actually enters the water, i assume to them it looks like an insect, it doesnt seem to affect my fishing as i catch fish all the times, so i also don't think my line is to visible and i don't really worry about that as i'm not competively fishing tournaments or anything.

I have seen bream and small bass look at my line.

Turtles will also look at your line.

If you think this is a problem may I suggest experimenting with different line colors?

Clear, green, blue, red, braid, etc.

Lines come in a variety of colors to try to mask their appearance so you may want to experiment.

Consider reading Homer Circle's book that addresses line colors or read what Dr. Keith Jones has to say about colors in his book.

This actually happens to me very often, I use braided line(power pro microfilament), and it usually happens where the line actually enters the water, i assume to them it looks like an insect, it doesnt seem to affect my fishing as i catch fish all the times, so i also don't think my line is to visible and i don't really worry about that as i'm not competively fishing tournaments or anything.

this is what i was gonna say, i get them hitting my line like a bug on the top....they just keep tapping it

usually, i lift my rod up so the spot where it hits the water moves around