Sign in to follow this  
jb_adams

Poll: Where would you fish?

I'm having trouble finding fish again. My home lake is Beaver Lake near Rogers, AR. It's much like Tablerock or Bull Shoals but different. It's a reservoir lake that was created decades ago when they damed the White River. So when I refer to the "river end", it's just that, the White River but it's part of Beaver Lake.

Here is a Google view of the lake:

BeaverLake.jpg

Current conditions:

- water temp low 60's

- water clarity, (see poll options above)

- water depth, 30-50ft. up-river, 30-90ft. mid-river, 90-170ft dam end of river

- low temps in the 30's, highs in the upper 60's

The bass were staged in 25-30ft about two weeks ago. Tons of shad were in the back of creekfed coves but no bass. The lake experienced a long algae bloom and I thinkn the oxygen level was low in the back of coves. The best place I have found fish is in deeper water in large coves (with deep channels) or off of mainlake points. Now, I can't seem to find fish at the "conventional locations".

My next place to look will be the middle of the lake at underwater structure, roadbeds, channels, etc. in about 40-80ft of water.

Not on your list  ;)

Garfield on the north end of the lake; Carolina Rig with a leader length of about 2-3', ½ oz sinker, and a green/brown crawfish plastic.

Not on your list ;)

Garfield on the north end of the lake; Carolina Rig with a leader length of about 2-3', ½ oz sinker, and a green/brown crawfish plastic.

That's Indian Creek I think you're talking about.  Already had that in mind for a trip Friday.  I'm taking two days off for fishing.  Poor me! :D

Already thought of using a c-rig too so I must be thinkin' right!  Thanks Catt! ;)  If I don't find fish on the North end, I'll know where to look then.  I've got a few more holes on the lake that I like and I think the middle of the larger lake areas (where everyone is driving instead of fishing) is where the fish might be.

I have a good buddy that lives on an island in Beaver; yes the Indian creek area ;)

Y'all think i only know Toledo Bend   ::)

Guest avid

If I were there right now I'd be fishing the main lake points and adjacent deep water areas with a ratLtrap till I found a clear pattern.

Also as Cap'n Ahab said "AVAST - DA BOIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSS"  

I have a good buddy that lives on an island in Beaver; yes the Indian creek area ;)

Y'all think i only know Toledo Bend ::)

Well I guess you hear plenty of stories about how tough this lake can be.  Unless you literally "live on the lake" and fish just about every day, it's hard for a weekend angler to keep up.  The pros come in here every year for the FLW series and they all struggle.  Last year, the top two weigh-ins were 12lbs with 5 fish.  They were darn proud of that limit too!

I tried some main lake points Avid.  They just weren't there but, it could have been that area of the lake.  I've been to the river end, mid-lake in several coves and main lake structure.  I did see some on the sonar on my way home though.  There was a deep drop about 30yds. away from the point and there were a couple fish suspended but I was on my way to the ramp so I didn't stop.  I haven't been to the dam end of the lake yet so I'm going to try my luck Friday there.

Oh Avid, I tried my Wiggle Wart this weekend!  I LOOOOOVVVVE the action this thing has!  Thanks Avid for praising the Wiggle Wart as an excellent shallow water crank.  I'll have to try it on a pond I know in shallow water.

Hickory creek- if it has laydowns and current with a jig.  or  as avid said, mainlake points with a trap. Also try dragging a football jig down them to. find some little boulders or something on the points that might hold fish on that point.

Hickory creek- if it has laydowns and current with a jig. or as avid said, mainlake points with a trap. Also try dragging a football jig down them to. find some little boulders or something on the points that might hold fish on that point.

Tried it already this weekend.  Not much luck in coves or main lake points.  We weren't even finding fish on the fish finder.  

I'm really interested to see what others will say, and especially interested to hear how your next trip goes jb. I am from the Rogers area myself (currently live in Bella Vista), but I haven't fished Beaver since this Spring. I have been out every weekend for the past 6 weeks or so fishing the Bella Vista lakes. Fishing has been pretty tough, even talking to the guys at the tackle shops they all report slow fishing. My best tactic has been dropshotting around docks and brush piles, with some sporadic topwater action around dusk in shallow areas in the backs of creeks. Water temps were 60 deg. this past Sunday.

If you don't already, check out the Outdoors report in the paper on Friday in the Benton County Daily Record, or find it online here http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Outdoors/. The fishing reports in there are usually more detailed than on the AGFC website.

I'm really interested to see what others will say, and especially interested to hear how your next trip goes jb. I am from the Rogers area myself (currently live in Bella Vista), but I haven't fished Beaver since this Spring. I have been out every weekend for the past 6 weeks or so fishing the Bella Vista lakes. Fishing has been pretty tough, even talking to the guys at the tackle shops they all report slow fishing. My best tactic has been dropshotting around docks and brush piles, with some sporadic topwater action around dusk in shallow areas in the backs of creeks. Water temps were 60 deg. this past Sunday.

If you don't already, check out the Outdoors report in the paper on Friday in the Benton County Daily Record, or find it online here http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Outdoors/. The fishing reports in there are usually more detailed than on the AGFC website.

Do you fish the BVA tournaments?  I see "champion135" on other sites.

Jig and a drop shot on the points. Down to 40 ft.

How do you fish a jig in 40ft?  If the bass are suspended at 25-30ft, how do you fish a jig?

Well, I've got a plan of action for tomorrow morning.  We'll see if I'm right or not.  I'm going to try Indian creek first because it's a large cove near deep water.  I've always had good luck finding fish all summer with that approach and I feel like I'll have similar results.  If that doesn't produce fish, I'll head over to the Cliffty area.  If that doesn't produce by mid afternoon, I'll load up and head over to Hickory Creek.

One of the main reasons I started a poll was to get some feedback and to determine where most anglers go.  Where most anglers go is not where I'm going.  There is a 50/50 chance that Hickory Creek is the place to be or it could be a heavily pressured area because most people are there right now.  I'd rather go to a place that's not fished that often if I feel fish are there.  We'll see if I'm right.

By tomorrow afternoon, I will have covered a lot of water and will be ready for a fishing trip with my partner on Sat.  If I can find fish, I should be able to catch a limit at least.  Tomorrow is the third day of a cold front and the temps are warming up so it should be good weather.  Only problem is the barom. pressure has dropped below 30 all day today.  That low pressure should be good as long as it doesn't drop too low.  Right now is a great afternoon to be on the water!

I'll report back with a full report tomorrow evening (and hopefully some pictures to go with the fish tale).

OK, here's the scoop (I'll try to make it as short as possible) ;D

FYI, my lake has depths up to 140ft and the water clarity was about 14-18ft today.

Here is the "Readers Digest" short version. You name it, I probably tried it. Main lake points, back of coves, channels, docks, mouth of coves, shallow water, deep water, etc. The only place I could actually locate fish on the graph was early as the sun rose (suspended at 20ft in 50-60ft of water) and later in the day I finally learned they were in the middle of the lake on large humps, drop-offs, etc. It's hard to get a bite from a bass in 80-90ft of water when they are about 30ft down. Only thing I didn't try was vertical jigging with spoons. I may try that later. By that time I was tired and ready to go home.

Here is a map that indicates where I fished.

BeaverLake2.jpg

Here's the detailed breakdown:

Indian Creek just as the sun come up

- Water temp: 61.2

- Air Temp: low 50's

- Fog rolling across water, winds less than 4mph

- Barometric Pressure - falling at 29.9 and later steady at 30.2

- Third day of a cold front with sunny skies and rising temperatures with wind picking up as the day

progressed up to 8mph. BEAUTIFUL fishing weather! ;)

6:15

As I got to Indian Creek about halfway back, I started at the mouth of a small cove off of the main channel. Bass jumped on occasion so I knew they were feeding. The mouth was around 60ft deep. Got one good bite on a Norman Rootbear crank in 55ft over the tops of trees and the line broke as I set the hook. It was definately a bite and not a tree.

7:00

Began to troll back into the cove to check for shallow feeding bass.  Water clarity up to 15ft and sometimes 18ft. If you look straight down, you can see the bottom (that clear enough for you murky water guys!) ;D

8-10AM

Continued to try smaller spinnerbaits, smaller cranks, DD22, jigs, and suspended jerkbait, and wacky rig senko. NO bites!

10:30AM

Water was so calm, I could see shad feeding on surface so I tried swiming spoons (Kastmaster...close enough). The water was so clear and the shad were so spooky, if I cast way beyond the school, they'd panic and swim off as the spoon was cast overhead. THAT'S CLEAR WATER!!! Welcome to my world.....so for you guys that say, "throw a spoon in the middle of a school of shad"...tried it, didn't work. Tried several schools, same thing, they'd see the spoon and then panic. If I got a bait within 30ft of the school, they'd flee in a hurry.

11:00, left the cove and headed deeper into Indian Creek to explore and look for other areas. Went into smaller cove, fished Spot Remover with finesse worm (Motor Oil.....what a great color). Got some bites but realized it was just baby bass and bluegill nipping at the worm. Some of those were good bites but no hookset. They'd bite the tail end of the worm.

Flipped jigs in docks, laydowns, logs, trees, rock piles, bluffs, etc. No fish on graph, too shallow at 20-30ft.

11:30

Fished at the mouth of the cove near deaper water and shade. Since the water was so clear and the sun was out, I thought shade might offer shallow bass. Only yearlings and nothing of reasonable size.

12:00

Headed out of Indian Creek and stopped for lunch on the way. Nothing like eating your lunch on the water on a beautiful Fall day. Especially when you could be stuck at work, instead you're outside fishing on your day off! :)

Around 1:00

Headed back to dock and loaded up boat. Time to head to the next launch site.

Around 1:30 or 2:00, launch from new ramp and headed over to the Cliffty area.

2:00

Flipped jigs into docks, flipped shad raps into docks, finesse worm, etc, no bites

3:00

Rode around trying to locate fish in groups or pockets with sonar.

3:30

Found fish off of a point but where they were suspened about 20ft down in 80ft of water near a drop/channel

Used several cranbaits and never got a bite. Should have tried the vertical jigging spoon or "Little George".

4:00

Fished a boat dock, groups of cedar trees, large rock piles, etc. No bites.

5:00 loaded up boat and headed home.

***EDIT***

I just uploaded a pic of the bass rig. She's not much, but don't let that little motor fool you. That's a 55hp Yamaha on the back of a flat bottom boat! She'll run around 30mph in rough water and 35mph in smooth water. Doesn't turn on a dime but it got me all over the lake today!

TheH2atLostBridge.jpg