Sign in to follow this  
Bassin_0502

Thanks Forum!   Gill hook

Just wanted to thank the Forum for teaching me a new (for me at least) trick. Gill hooked a small one today and remembered reading about passing the hook through the gills on this Forum. Worked like a charm, I was able to pass the hook through the gills and cut the line free. I had never tried that before reading it here. He was a little slow to swim away, but I think he'll be there tomorrow thanks to you guys!

Yes, easiest way to remove the hook when it is deep.

And the fish will survive.  :)

gotta love learning something. I too just used this for the first time last night as well after reading it on here. It was my fault just had my line in set the rod down and one had take it in.

I had one on Saturday that was hooked below his tongue.  Never had one there before.  The tissue was on the bend of the hook and I just couldn't get the long shank of the hook turned properly in his mouth. I cut the line and turned the hook so the barb and bend were in reach of the pliers, cut the hook then I was able to pull the straight shank out from below.  I was getting worried because I had him out of the water for a while but he swam away.   :)