Sign in to follow this  
Mobydick

Night Fishing

Ok, so I got a question. At night, in clear water,  do bass stay close to cover or do they roam? I was thinkin that because they may stay 6 feet or more away from cover in clear water during the day, then at night, they would roam. Thanks!

Ian

I find that bass tend to roam around at night hence I use a lure that would act like a searchbait but larger with lots of noise and vibration. Try a 3/4 - 1oz. black spinnerbait or a large topwater plug.

I find that bass tend to roam around at night hence I use a lure that would act like a searchbait but larger with lots of noise and vibration. Try a 3/4 - 1oz. black spinnerbait or a large topwater plug.

I also have found them to roam at night sometimes 20 yards from where they usually are.My night choices are 3/4 black spinnerbait with a single #6 colorado blade,and a 1/2 ounce black and blue Top Prop both fished slow...I love night fishing

I'm not sure I would call it roaming but bass will move to feeding areas at different times of the night. I use the same lures at night I use during the during day light hours which are Texas Rigs, Carolina Rigs, & Jig-N-Craws.

I do really good at night on spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I just never knew if i was fishing structure or not. I can feel bottom and all, but i dont know if maybe there was 2 different weed types, or if it was just open water. That answers my question, thanks!

Ian

Get a topo map. ;)

In our lake, we can find them in specific places, depending on the stage of their feeding. On the slopes that create the edges of flats, the flats, and along the sandy/rock bottomed points have been some of our top producers

But cast everywhere,lol you'll find them eventually and start making note of where. You will notice that some of these spots will produce more often than others. And so you learn.

Pretty much like Catt said,just go fishing as if it were daytime.

I have found bass to be roaming creatures but they are cover and structure seeking fish. I have found that if you fish on and around cover or structure you will have much more success at catching fish. If I know or see structure or cover I will fish the general vicinity around the area. It might be a large or small area but also always remember that where ever you fish, underwater ledge, rocks, docks, trees, overhangs... under most circumstances that there will be deeper water nearby.

Roam: To move about without purpose or plan

You will never find bass moving about with out purpose, bass will move for one of two reasons. The first reason bass move is to feed, bass will ether move to a feeding area or bass will move following bait fish; the second reason bass move is to spawn. While many here have observed what appears to bass aimlessly roaming a shore line when they are in fact moving for a reason those reasons maybe unknown to the angler.

Depending on different factors a bass will be positioned close to cover but under certain conditions like over cast skies or darkness the bass will be farther away from the cover. The opposite is true under on bright sun shiny days or post frontal conditions, during these conditions the bass will move close to or bury up in the cover.

Roam: To move about without purpose or plan

You will never find bass moving about with out purpose, bass will move for one of two reasons. The first reason bass move is to feed, bass will ether move to a feeding area or bass will move following bait fish; the second reason bass move is to spawn. While many here have observed what appears to bass aimlessly roaming a shore line when they are in fact moving for a reason those reasons maybe unknown to the angler.

Depending on different factors a bass will be positioned close to cover but under certain conditions like over cast skies or darkness the bass will be farther away from the cover. The opposite is true under on bright sun shiny days or post frontal conditions, during these conditions the bass will move close to or bury up in the cover.

That is some sweeeeet info there, thanks a bunch!