Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy D.

High water question?

I have a question about rising water.  We had rain like crazy the last three days to where we had flood watches/warnings.  I am thinking about going out tomo and see if I cant catch a couple if the landings are not under water!  Any help would be appreciated on fishing these conditions like do they go deeper or come up to new things under water????  

Other info....water temp about 40 to 50 prob pretty muddy from the rain but I am hoping toward the dam its not as bad.

I only speak from experience during warmer weather, so it may not be the same during winter patterns. During high water levels on the lakes I fish, the action is usually non stop all day. I can pitch a jig in as little as 1 foot of water and get bit.

Seems like the follow they smaller fish into the newly flooded cover for an all day feeding frenzy. My best days have been on high water levels, even on the rivers I fish.

I should also add that warmer weather to me would be the same lake conditions you listed.  Water temps here right now are about 34 degrees.

there will always be some shallow fish, especially with rising water...jigs and jerkbaits are always good this time of year tho, in muddy water, you may have to pinpoint structure fairly tight.

generally, this time of year the bigger fish will still be out.

Thanks for everyone advice so far!  I will give it a shot and let yall know how it goes.  I figured they will have the dam open full for the next day so I think there will be some good current on these newly flooded land points where they will be waiting on prey to drift by....well not sure how its gonna go cause its been about 2 months  since i have been out....

Go to the first break, hunt clear water, cover lots of water. The fish will let you know.

Been years since I have been on the lake. There is a major cove on the north end that has a very well defined roadbed running across it. Find it and let me know if those big spots are still stacked up off the main lake side. They use to stack up just off the first cut in about 15' of water this time of year.