Sign in to follow this  
drmnbig

How to ask for permission to fish?

I've been just looking at google earth and seeing bodies of water and just riding around checking them out. I found an old quarry pond today that looks insane. It's about 5 acres of water and is greenish clear. It's basically a big pit in the ground. There must have been 100 geese on it too. This pond is completely hidden from everything and sits in the midst of several businesses. This whole area is all new developement and the realtor has signs everywhere. I investigated and looked up owners of the property online and the owner is also the realtor for it. I want to ask for permission to fish it but don't want to fudge it up because like I said this place looks amazing. How should I go about asking?

Basically all you can do is just straight up ask them. Remind them that you will pick up all trash of yours and others around, and you will properly release all fish you catch!

Also if you want to kinda butter things up, you might offer to help them out in some way. Mow yard, do some work for them, any little thing counts.

Basically all you can do is just straight up ask them. Remind them that you will pick up all trash of yours and others around, and you will properly release all fish you catch!

Also if you want to kinda butter things up, you might offer to help them out in some way. Mow yard, do some work for them, any little thing counts.

CatfishKing pretty much covered it.  Be respectful and hope for the best.  Good Luck  

my friends and i have a similar problem. we have a friend who has a small body of water behind her house that holds some HOGS, but her property only sits on less than 20 feet of shorline that is full of trees that block you from casting anywhere. about 30 feet to the right is a long expanse of bank that is prime for 10+ lb bass during the spawn, but unfortunatly  the land is owned by a guy who won't allow us to even step foot on his land even though we haven't done anything wrong like leaving trash or anything. i just want to go up to his house and BEG him to let us fish, and i have been thinking about trying to offer my services around his lawn so my friends and i can be able to fish. AND THE THING THAT MAKES ME MAD IS THAT HE DOSN'T EVEN FISH ON THE WATER >:(

Well, so much for that.  The owner told me that the construction company used to let you sign waivers and get passes to go in there but their insurance company told them they had to stop about 2 years ago.  What a bummer.  That's one very nice looking piece of water.

Well, so much for that. The owner told me that the construction company used to let you sign waivers and get passes to go in there but their insurance company told them they had to stop about 2 years ago. What a bummer. That's one very nice looking piece of water.

You can thank the sue happy people of the world and their parasitic lawyers for that.

Well you tried it the right way, so now you just go fish it anyway.

Thats the very reason i dont ask, 99.9% of the time they will say no. With good reason in most cases. Sorry people ruin it for all the respectable people in this world. They leave trash every where & keep every thing they can catch.

If you get caught, then thats when you ask & tell them you didnt know who to ask. Doing it this way, you at least get some fishing in. Who knows, before they run you off you may even catch some fish. ;)

Thats the very reason i dont ask, 99.9% of the time they will say no. With good reason in most cases. Sorry people ruin it for all the respectable people in this world. They leave trash every where & keep every thing they can catch.

If you get caught, then thats when you ask & tell them you didnt know who to ask. Doing it this way, you at least get some fishing in. Who knows, before they run you off you may even catch some fish. ;)

This is part of the reason places get shut down!  Even if they say no you have to respect the fact that it's their property so no thanks, I'll go elsewhere.

This is part of the reason places get shut down!

I disagree 100%. Places get shut down because people trash them & take every thing they catch.

If someone fishes & takes care of the places they fish & those places get shut down, then the owners are just butt holes.

;)

This is part of the reason places get shut down!

I disagree 100%. Places get shut down because people trash them & take every thing they catch.

If someone fishes & takes care of the places they fish & those places get shut down, then the owners are just butt holes.

;)

Yeah with a company it might be about insurance but mostly its about leaving trash. I deal with the same thing with creek access where I live. In reality I can remember a class in college where we talked about tresspassing laws and the fact is not much will come of it if you do trespass. 99% chance you will get run off and thats it. No one really cares enough to take it to court. I would be more worried about getting shot by a crazy landowner  :D I know some who have shot at people on their property which is illegal also.  :o  My honest opinion if you want to fish it long term you better ask first because if you get caught there without permission your done. If you just want to try it and dont care then go for it assuming the owner isnt someone who will shoot you. Oh yeah off limits public property is different you might get a ticket. But usually the places you cant fish are better in your own mind than they are in reality. :(