Sign in to follow this  
Spanky SC

Tagging Fish you catch

I will be fishing in a 200 acre private lake in South Carolina about 20 days a year. Because it limits the people who can fish this water, I was thinking of tagging each fish I catch with a simple tag gun. The tags are only 1" long and I have ten different colors. I would catch the fish, weigh it, log it and put a specific color tag that would represent the different weights. If I am lucky enough to catch a fish I already tagged, I would change the color tag to represent what the fish weighed the second time I caught it.

Have any of you tried this? Does it makes sense to see how fast each fish grows and how many I would catch a second or third time.

Thanks

Don't know about over there, but it is not allowed here. Law to keep people from tagging transmitters to them to track and follow. Job for the fish and game dept. May be ok to do it but I would check it out before you open a can of worms you cannot close. If you own the lake you probably can do it otherwise be safe and contact someone.

Then if you have the owners permission and he says ok I guess you could give it a shot. Good luck.

Or you could just catch 100 fish and get their average weight and then catch 100 fish the next year and get their average weight and you will have a good idea of how much you fish are growing.

Or you could just catch 100 fish and get their average weight and then catch 100 fish the next year and get their average weight and you will have a good idea of how much you fish are growing.

Agreed