Sign in to follow this  
cbfishalot

Ice fishing Lake Erie!!

Did anyone hear the news about the 150 ice fisherman on lake erie.  I just heard that a 8 mile chunk broke off and 150 were stranded and 1 guy died.

It is a tragety that some one lost their life but with 40 MPH SSW winds and 50 degree temps there should be NO ONE surprised that the ice became unstable and broke loose. They also needlessly endangered those who had to recue them.

Big water is big water, frozen or not.Erie is a beast and must be respected, sadly, this is something that has happend before and probably will again. It is very sad and tragic that a man lost his life, and I feel for his family.

My take on from reading some of the ice fishing message boards that I visit is that these guys disreguarded conditions out there, warm temps with a strong south wind spelled bad news from the git-go. From what I read, the ice they were fishing had to accssed by bridging an already large crack with boards/pallets........not a good decision by any one envolved given the conditions of the day. I could go on and on about all the stupid things people do every winter envolving ice fishing, but seeing as a guy lost his life, it's not the time nor place for that.

WOW!  I started ice fishing a lot more this year.  The places I fish are small.  Makes a person start thinking.