Sign in to follow this  
South FLA

Community Pond/Canal Management

I recently moved to a community in Palm Beach county Florida. My backyard butts up to one of the 6.5 miles of interconnected canals and 15 acres of lakes. About 5/6 years ago, my brother caught an 11lb bass out of this canal system (weighed and released) and I have heard neighborhood reports of a larger fish, but they are rumors. I have caught a 7lb 2oz, but my average fish is 1-2lbs with the occasional 4lb.

The place is awesome and has very little fishing pressure. The canal system has a variety of forage; bluegill, shad, shiners, and tilapia. Unlike most South Florida canals, it has deep (15 to 20ft) holes in ponds that connect to the canal system and shallow spawning flats. There are plenty of weeds, although they are managed by the local water district on occasion.

I installed an automatic fish feeder with Purina's gamefish chow a month ago and I'm amazed to see the number of tilapia (Blue & Spotted), bluegills, turtles, and catfish that have made themselves backyard pond residents.

What basic steps can I take to make my little oasis better, other than purchasing all of Bob Lusk's books ;)?

catch some big fish else were and put them in there to eat some talapia and get big and fat