Sign in to follow this  
dvdmacdaddyO

Post Thunderstorm Fishing

I have recently moved from fishing 1-2 times a year to fishing 1-3 times per week.  I live in west Texas and we get some nasty thunderstorms.  Last night we got one of those storms dropping golf ball size hail, very heavy rain fall, and high winds (a typical storm for the area).  The center of the storm moved right across Lake Alan Henry. I have been on the lake a few times before thunderstorms and the fishing was excellent. Is it myth or fact that fishing after a severe thunderstorm ruins the fishing?  

Could go either way. Was there a drastic temperature drop?

Usually deep fish are not as affected. But if there was pretty good rainfall and the lake is generally clear water, you might try to find an incoming creek creating current flow which will draw fish. The key would be having access to deep water nearby. 10 feet near a 3 foot flat is deep.

Lake Alan Henry is a flooded canyon with lots of structure and rocks. Along the shore it can be 3-4 feet deep for about a foot or so off the shore line and drop to 10-30 feet deep. It is fed by numerous rivers. The water is usually clear but when you get up into the rivers the water becomes more cloudy the further up you go. The rivers don't have such drastic drop offs as the main lake. They tend to slope out at a steady pace for 5-10 feet, with a good amount of submerged trees and shrubs, then drops off to 15-20 feet deep.

Water temp has been 56-58 degrees, I'd say we got about 1.5 inches of rain in a matter of 30-45 min along with enough pea-golf ball size hail to cover the ground 1/4-1/2 inch (we get more white stuff on the ground in the spring than we do in the winter)