Sign in to follow this  
shootermcbob

fish coming "unbuttoned"?

Need some help please. I have lost 10 fish the past three days. I have been fishing with a crankbait and/or a lipless crank( rapala DT 6, Strike king red eye shad). The lures were new and the hooks are very sharp. I am using a bass pro crankin stick 7 foot medium action with 17 lb. mono line. The reel is a bass pro pro qualifier with a 5.2:1 ratio. Anyway, I feel the strike, give sideways sweep on rod , and reel. I really tried to analyze what was going and and I am stumped. I kept strong tension on the rod and was reeling consistently. I would feel the fish and then, boom, nothing. Two of them came off right next to the bank. Any help would be appreciated.

cranks are a horisontal presentation id go with a Vertical rip of the rod may hook them rather than pull it out their mouth

What rod are you using? You need a softer action rod to keep from pulling the hooks out. Don't set the hook to hard, just a quick sweep to the side will work.

I am using a 7' medium action bass pro shops crankin stick. I am using a sweeping to the side hook set. I have the fish on, I am reeling them in, I can feel them fighting, and then..whammo, they get off. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Sometimes when I'm reeling one in, especially with crank and jerk baits, when I know the line is nice and tight, I'll go ahead and give it another sharp jerk to make sure the hook set is solid.  I do this especially if the fish is swimming toward me, and I feel like the line gets slack, or if the fish jumps.  I think sometimes people get complacent, and they feel like that initial hook set is enough to bury the hook every time.  I think, unless you set it hard, and the line stays very tight throughout the battle, you're setting yourself up to lose your fish if you don't ensure a good hook set.  Every time that line gets slack is an opportunity for the bass to throw the hook.

Question; are the bass hooked by the front or back hook?

You may be setting the hook too quickly. Lipless cranks are known for shin hooking bass. If the bass are lightly hooked with the rear treble hook, all you can do is reduce the drag tension to about 2 to 3 lbs.

Another trick is to reel set, then rod sweep. The reel set ,when cranking using a slower action rod, like the you are using, allows the bass to turn with the lure, getting a better hook setting angle. Let the rod load up before sweeping it back, do not give it a second hook set.

The other trick is going up one hook size on the center treble hook; size 4 to size 2 for example. The lure pivots around the center hook, so size increase doesn't change the action much.

WRB

Most of the fish I have caught on the crankbait over the past couple weeks have been hooked on the back hook. This past weekend, I tried a new rapala dt6 in perch color. Fishing with the rapala and a brand new strike king redeye shad crawfish color, I hooked up on 19 fish, but lost ten of them during the retrieve.  of the 9 fish I caught, most of them were hooked with the back hook.  A couple were hooked with both hooks with the rapala.

with the strike king red eye shad I had it where they were getting

hooked on the back hook. I realized when I played the fish instead

instead of horsing them in I would bring the fish in every time.

So just keep the line tight and don't horse them in. Best of luck.

Rear hooks can indicate you maybe hooking the bass as the bass ejects the lure, hooking the fish with the back treble. Give the reel set a try, several fast cranks to load up the rod. Pre set the drag with a scale, you may be surprised how much tension 3 lbs is! However it should be enough tension to control the bass and make a run at the boat without tearing out hooks.

WRB

PS; I use 10 to 12 lb green Big Game for cranking and rarely loose bass with crankbaits. Will go up to 20 lb at night or around weed cover.

The lighter mono line during the day gives a little more line stretch and running depth, with  crankbaits. At night the bass are very active, so line size and stretch isn't a as much of a factor as loosening lures.

Bass fishing is sometimes a lot less scientific than we want to make it. The advice here has been great, but this bait type has had this reputation since they were first introduced in the late 1960's early 1970's.

It's no help to you right now, I understand, but come back after you hook the next 100 bass and see how many you've lost. We'll have a better idea if it's equipment, technique, or the way the fish are taking the bait.

"Daybreaks, canebrakes, heartbreaks..."

GK, agree that lipless cranks can be heart breakers. 50% strike to catch ratio is low and practice, with the right technique, should improve it.

WRB

PS, the technique you use to hook those dart fish; reel & sweep.