Sign in to follow this  
retiredbosn

River flooded while bass spawning

The Greenbrier river has been at flood stage for a week now, stopped raining today.  All protected coves have fast water running through them.  One of my favorite stretches has a slot limit, and I typically catch some nice bass there.  Now with the river at flood, what will happen with the bass?  Will they be washed downstream?  Will they respawn?  I figure all the nest are silt covered now, and/or the eggs washed away.  I know whenever we get a flood like this, the bottom of the river changes, and I have to search and find the new holes, etc.  So what do you guys think, will this flood result in a failed spawn or will the bass respawn?  If I recall the same thing happened last year, so this would be the second year in a row with a failed spawn unless the bass will re-nest

all the bass in a given body of water do not spawn at the same time. If conditions are poor they will wait till conditions change. Depending on how far in the process they where spawning that group of fish  may build another nest.

You will lose some of the spawn, but high water tends to flood areas that have good recruitment for the surviving fry on natural flooding waterways. When a reservoir drops the lake levels 50 to 100 feet during the spawning season, that lakes year class gets nearly wiped out. This is exactly what is going on at Castiac this year.

WRB