Sign in to follow this  
Little Luey

Fishing current on irrigation canals

The irrigation canals where I live had the gates open today, a canal that is normally not moving fast at all was moving at least twice the amount of water. I don't normally get to see this.

The first gate leads in to a small reservoir about the size of a football field and then it divides in to two canals on the opposite end. I figure the fish will be feeding of all the smaller animals/fish being dragged by the current and sure enough, I saw bass, catfish, and turtles facing the current waiting for a meal to come by. ,

I only had my plastics with me, and tried a few things but no bites at all. I tried a variety of plastic lures but the fish didn't seem to be interested. There was a few fish splashing out of the water so I thought to use a rage tail, also tried a Fat Ika, some shaky head worms, and a jointed rapala lure that was in my bag.

If I ever see this again, what type of lures should I try?

LOL, I was trying that with the shaky head and the fat ika and I felt like the best fisherman out there, I though about using a senko but then it was time to get to work, LOL. Thanks for commenting.

I also have never sheen so many fish in that reservoir so I know I will be fishing it more from now on. During the summer the weeds get almost all the way to the surface.