Sign in to follow this  
ksdog

Any advice for lake fishing from shore....

I walk/wade the area lakes for smallies and was wondering what techniques some of you use for the first spring smallie bite of the year. Just got into the smallie fishing last summer and had fair success wading, but spring fishing will be new to me.

Springtime for Smallies from the bank? I would immediatly start with a jerkbait. Try different cadences to learn how the fish want the action. For me, I usually will let the bait sit for a while between jerks......Good rule of thumb is, the colder the water, the longer the pause......Crankbaits can also be very effective for smallies in the springtime. I prefer a lipless crankbait(excalibur) however, most others will work as well. Dont rule out plastics either such as a tube. Good Luck! ;D

I second the jerkbait. Also take a Senko and make fan casts. Let it sit for about 30 seconds sweep the rod about two or three feet let it sit for 20-30 seconds and repeat. You can do this with Ikas as well. I have yet to try them but you fish them just like a senko. You could always use live shiners or c-rigged night crawlers.