Sign in to follow this  
phisher_d

Rod for draggin tubes

Deep water, drift socks, heavy (3/8-1/2 oz) tube jigs... The Erie guys know what I mean ;)

What rod do you use?

I am considering the Shimano Crucial Drop-Shot MH spinning rod. Any other suggestions around that price range (~$140).

Thanks in advance :)

You will need a rod with more back bone. 7 ft with a 70/30 bend medium is my chioce. The drop shot rods don't have enough for dragging.

Garnet

You will definately want a m/h rod with plenty of backbone. I use a Kistler Helium 7' mh fast action, sometimes I wish it were heavy.

Like already said, I don't think a drop shot rod will have enough power for your tube needs. Big smallies have a tendency to clamp down on the bait and when you set the hook it never even penetrates.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has enough umpf to drive the hook home.  

I fish Erie alot and take a different aproach to dranggin a tube. This what i use and most of the guys I fish around do also. Something in the 6-6 to 7 foot Med to med/light spinning, I drag 1/8oz and 1/4oz tubes. I do used 1/2oz jig head  with gobies, then I use a 6'6" M/H BC

All my spinning rods are Gander Mountain Guide serie rods

WHEN USING A ROD THAT IS DESIGNED FOR SPECIFIC THINGS....DRAGGING A TUBE ON A DROPSHOT ROD IS NOT ONE OF THEM.  IT'S FOR DROP SHOTTING.

I USE A M/H ROD...LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID...YOU ARE GONNA NEED SOMETHING WITH BACKBONE.  DROP SHOT IS A FINESSE TECHNIQUE.  LIGHT ROD...LIGHT LINE....WELL IN ERIE..INVISIBLE LINE...LOL...FLOUROCARBON.