Sign in to follow this  
cbfishalot

Lipless Crankbaits for Smallies

Just wondering what lipless crankbaits everyone throws for smallies?  What brand,  color, and size?

I haven't caught that many smallies on a lipless but the ones I have caught came on a chrome/blue back/orange belly 1/2oz Rat-L-Trap.

I have good success with a Rapala #7 Rattlin Rap in red crawdad.

Falcon

Ive caught them on #5 Rattlin Rapala in shad color

Caught a four pounder by Bosher's Dam in the James River in Richmond a few years ago by throwing a 1/4 ounce chrome with a black back Rat-L-Trap.

My friend, who was with me, had a heart attack when I unhooked her and let her go.

He could not beleive I released her.

I told him I release all fish with the exception of speckled trout and redfish!

My personal experience is that they're not particularly fussy about brands or colors. I've used Traps, Spots and Rapalas in a variety of colors.

I was fishing a BFL tourney on Lk ST Clair, and my boater was using a excaliber lipless in ghost color. He had his 5 fish limit within 35 min. of fishing. I was using crawl colored and they wouldn't even touch it. He loaned me a ghost colored lipless, and caught 3 within minutes.

After a spinnerbait, lipless is the way to go when searching for smallies.  Rat-L-Trap is by far my favorite. My second largest smallie ever came on a gold Rat-L-Trap in the fall over grass.  5lbs.  

Love those Traps over St. Clair grass beds on the flats.  Hang on  baby!!!!

Jeff

my personal opinion is that the action of the lipless crank is more important than  the color.  I have many times been in the same boat and using the same color as two or three other people and I still catch more fish and larger than the rest.  I pesonally like to burn and rip it.  I think by doing this I get the fish to hit it out of reaction.  And a lot of times when you are fishing a reaction bite the color doesn't matter all you have to do is get the bait in their window for striking.