Sign in to follow this  
Dan Hughes

Smallmouth vs. Pike - An Unbelievable Story

My cousin Darryl lived a block from the Mississippi River in Minnesota, and my family visited them for two weeks every summer.  We both loved to fish, him in the Mississippi, me in a small creek back home in Indiana.

I was about 14.  We went to Darryl's favorite spot, where the water moved slowly in a pool, and Darryl told me I should be using a steel leader because if I hooked a pike, it would bite through my line.

But steel leaders cost a dime each, and I told him I wasn't fishing for pike, I was fishing for bass, so I didn't need any steel leaders.

I was using my favorite lure (the Shyster, an inline spinner much like the Mepps, discussed here earlier), and I caught a couple of small bass.  Then I got a solid hit, the fish fought for a few minutes, then the line went limp.  I reeled it in, and the lure was gone.  Darryl said it must have been a pike, and he had bitten through my line.

Next day, same place, same situation.  Did I use a steel leader?  Nah.  Another Shyster and another good hit.

I fought the fish, reeled it in, got it right up to the shore, and through the clear water I was in an eye-to-eye staring match with an 18-inch pike.

He glowered up at me and then wiggled his jaw, and the severed line dropped away from his mouth.  

And here's the part that is as clear in my memory today as the day it happened, nearly fifty years ago....

He suspended quietly for a moment, then turned tail and slowly swam away, with the blade from yesterday's lure spinning on the left side of his mouth and the blade from today's lure spinning on the right side of his mouth.  

He looked like a 4th of July celebration.

And I swear this is no fish story.

I had a largemouth do that to my favorite spinnerbait. He swan up near the surface around my boat 5 or 6 times with the blade spinning, taunting me! I thought it was funny the first time, but then I started getting mad and had to move the boat. ;D

I have never gone fishing for pike, but my dad has.  I asked him what typed of poles he used and I was astonished with his answer.  He used his ocean fishing poles, and even caught a northern pike on a deep sea pole.  He has a picture with a 54 in. pike he caught once, if I find the picture, I'll post it.  But most likely it is packed away in a suitcase full of them.

i went on a camping trip with bucketmouthangler, BAssholebuster, and a couple others

so i was happily casting laughing with my friends when my Rapala DT-6 in went sailing into the wild blue yonder and buscket mounth said "hey sean its not that far out there go swim for it" and i said well its a good 50yrds in the lake as soon as i said that a bass jumped up from the depths and snaged and willgled his head to try to get it out.... so five minutes go by an my friends are still laughing and the fish jumps out of the water shaking his head and i hear a rattle from my lure...so wqe went to eat and went baack to fish a good 2hours later and as soon as we get out there we see the bass jump and shake its head and we hear the rattle and we all gave a little chuckle about that.

SEan

One time I was fishing with a topwater weedless frog, when a bass just absolutely crushed it.  My drag was set too tight and it snapped my line.  About twenty minutes later we see my topwater frog rise to the surface. Good thing because it was my only one. Tied it back on and proceded to catch a couple nice fish.