Sign in to follow this  
Gunrunner26

Creek Smallies on Streamers

I usually fish a small creek (~200 cfs) here in Indiana with UL or light spinning tackle and F7 Rapalas. I just started fly fishing with streamers. What patterns would be best and would poppers or equal be good?

One of the only patterns I use for smallies is a clouser minnow, mainly because its the only streamer you need. The clouser can imitate a number of forage species depending on color and your retrieve, you can make it look like an injured or frightened baitfish, a small shrimp or scud, or a crawfish. You can buy them at any flyshop but I suggest you learn how to tie them for yourself as I have done, this allows you to make different color combinations and tweak the bait to your own specifications.

Poppers are another good bet for smallies. I use bigger deer hair poppers in the rivers around here but I would suggest downsizing to a smaller popper like a sneaky pete or a bream popper for the small water that you fish.

You can try a wooly bugger. I haven't fished for smallies on fly gear...yet... but I have caught some LM on wooly buggers and I'm sure they will work fine for smallies. I have only fished for creek smallies twice and they seem to be a bit smaller than the ones in lakes, rivers, etc. My guess would be to use a W.B. in size 6 or 8. if you're throwing no more than a 5 or 6 wt. rod.

Cheers.