Sign in to follow this  
tkoglin

Catching Bass at night in the Fall?

When it gets dark so early in the Fall, does this change how the Bass feed at night? During the Summer when it gets dark around 10pm I usually have real good luck fishing from dusk through the first couple hours of dark. Now when it's getting dark around 7pm I can't seem to catch any Bass at night.  >:(

This biggest thing I noticed was that you can't even hear any Bass feeding at night now. During the Summer nights you would hear a few of them jumping and splashing near the shoreline and now it's just dead calm without a Bass so much as making a ripple on the water.  

The first night I went out from 6:30pm to 8pm

The second night I tried from 8pm till 10pm

the last night I went out from 8pm till Midnight and only had one strike for the three nights and never heard one Bass surface?

I did catch a lot more than normal during the early morning hours so I was wondering if they quit feeding at night and start feeding during the day?

The only other thing that I think could have affected them this past weekend was that there wasn't any Moonlight and it was dark as heck.   :-X

During the Summer the Moonlight is so bright sometimes that you don't even need a flashlight.  8-)

Our night bite dies also as the cold air arrives.   I don't know if there is a special temp that triggers this but once they start their cold water preparation, we don't even start fishing till the sun has had a chance to heat up the rocks that their food is still relating to.  

I caught a 20" smallie just after dark on a Pop-R last weekend. Wow was that a fun fish. Hope to get out tomorrow, not many good days left up here in Michigan. Oh ya, I also caught a 19"and 20" largemouth that same evening, both on a Sweet Beaver on a 1/8 oz jig head. Great day of fishing for me!!!

I have fished at night for smallies and it seems that they shut off after it starts to cool off.  I have been luck about the first two hours of dark.

I no longer have the cojones for cold nights. ;)