Sign in to follow this  
Fishing Rhino

Rage Tail Shad, a plan comes to fruition.

Fishing is a thinking person's game.

Today, with bass moving about in the shallows, I figured it was a good time to try the Shad like a buzz bait.  Retrieving it across the surface resulted in several hits, but no hookups.

What to do, what to do.  I put on my thinking cap, and speculated that the retrieve might be too fast.

On the next cast, I produced a nice, easy to straighten out, minor backlash.

Took all of fifteen seconds, give or take to pull all the loose coils from the spool and reel the slack back onto the spool.

When the line got taut, I had a bass on the other end.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Well, whether by accident, or design, it matters not.  I caught four more on the bait by replicating, timewise, the backlash technique.

They liked it better being twitched and paused, just below the surface.

It is truly better, at times, to be lucky than to be good.

Super!

Today I put two small bullet weights on my line to get my Anaconda deeper.

Caught one!!!!!  :)

It's always nice to have something new and different work isn't it?

It's always nice to have something new and different work isn't it?

It's a bonus.

Hey Rhino....You can say lucky if you want, but paying attention to how fish react to a given presentation and then capitalizing on it is called "catching fish".  :)  those fish must've thought that Rage shad had a stroke and passed out,  ;D

Your technique works often in and around grass, vegetation pockets, brush etc. but rarely do we hear about it being effective in the more open water areas. You had'em rounded up for sure.  ;)

I will often fish the Shad with a 3/16 to 1/4 oz keel weighted hook, it can be fished fast or slow under the surface like a swimbait or wake bait. Sounds like you don't need'em so just keep on keep'in on...

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Hey Rhino....You can say lucky if you want, but paying attention to how fish react to a given presentation and then capitalizing on it is called "catching fish". :) those fish must've thought that Rage shad had a stroke and passed out, ;D

Your technique works often in and around grass, vegetation pockets, brush etc. but rarely do we hear about it being effective in the more open water areas. You had'em rounded up for sure. ;)

I will often fish the Shad with a 3/16 to 1/4 oz keel weighted hook, it can be fished fast or slow under the surface like a swimbait or wake bait. Sounds like you don't need'em so just keep on keep'in on...

Big O

www.ragetail.com

The hits were all tight to the emergent vegetation in about two feet of water. The vegetation around here is just coming back to life. A few lily pads have appeared, and there are new shoots on the vines.

The water hyacinth, which are broken off a few inches below the water line, are covered with a mossy slime or algae. It is in these that the bass are holding, right up against the viney stuff.

A photo of a typical section of the shoreline. Taken last fall.

The hyacinth had already been going dormant. Much thicker and wider at their peak.

DSC00055.jpg

I would've left out the part about the backlash and merely stated you found a new "dead sticking" technique for the rage shad.

:)

Great looking water Rhino, that depth with vegetation nearby is terrific for your technique...

Big O

www.ragetail.com

I would've left out the part about the backlash and merely stated you found a new "dead sticking" technique for the rage shad.

:)

Cart7, it gives the story character! ;D  Nice job Fishing Rhino!

Great looking water Rhino, that depth with vegetation nearby is terrific for your technique...

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Tried the Toad today, and hammered them.  Destroyed three toads.

The head tore apart after the bait got sent up the line three or four times.  Cannot figure out how it got past the keel weight but it did with regularity.

Off to buy another package or two, and some weighted Owner twistlock hooks.

I prefer the Owner because they have a center wire which keep the coil properly aligned.

Bad news for you.  The baits may last a little longer.

Great baits.  The videos sold me.  The fishing confirmed it.

Thanks for a great product.  Can't wait to see what this new super secret weapon is that you'll introduce in the future.

Great post.

I agree with Big O, finding the pattern may have been an accident, but recognizing it and reproducing it wasn't.