Sign in to follow this  
bassfishin14

Frog Rod Upgrade

i want to upgrade from my current frog rod which is a Diawa L&T frog rod. i really want something that is balanced so i can fish comfortable all day. i currently have 3 dobyns rods now and i am trying to slowly convert to all dobyns rods. i love the way they feel, and how balanced they are!

the models i am looking at right now are:

1. dobyns champion 735c

2. dobyns champion 736c

3. dobyns champion extreme 745c

4. dobyns savvy 735c

im stuck on the 2 champions cause they have different ratings. i will be fishing mostly golf course ponds that are mostly cheesed over and other lakes with the same structure. i tend to go to the delta quite a bit to.

is the 736 a broom stick? i like a soft tip so i can walk the frog easy but still have that backbone to horse them out of the slop.

if anyone has any of these rods or all of them and would like to give me your 2 cents please do!

thanks!

I have the Champion 735c and Champion 766c. I use them both for frogs and flipping/pitching. I much prefer the softer tip on the 735c for frogging.

The 735C is too light for frogging on heavy weed mats and such in my opinion, the 736 can even feel slightly soft for fishing some of the heavy junk although it's the rod I use most. The 766 is also a GREAT frog rod. The 735Savvy has even a slightly softer tip than the 735C. I'd stay away from the 735 unless you plan to fish mostly open water and sparse weed mats, nothing clumped up and thick. The 745DX also is on the light side. Also, no need to spend the big $300+ on a frog rod when sensitivity isn't really needed, unless you plan to use it for other stuff.

I'd pick either the 736C or 766C. If you want an all around rod that is sensitive to use for other things, yet also a SICK frog rod, the 795DX is an awesome rod for Flipping, Punching, Frogging, Jigs, Swimbaits, etc...

david: does the 736 still have that soft tip to properly walk to frog? also i dont want it feeling like a broomstick.

I could, I'd make it even a little stiffer than it already is. The tip is slightly stiff, and takes a bit of getting used to when throwing a light frog, but once you get used to it, it's perfect, and the added power really helps.

The 805Punch rod is a bit stiffer and I have been enjoying that as a frog rod and doing a little experimenting as well.

The 735 will have a bit softer tip, but the 736 will much better fit for throwing a frog in heavy situations. I throw Snag Proof frogs exclusively, and have no trouble with the 736, and I still have a Gen 1 736 that's even slightly stiffer. The 736 is perfect. Given that you're right in Novato, you could go to a shop and test them out, but the 736 is the way to go.

thanks david, i have a buddy who owns both the rods and he said i could try them out. you were speaking about the 805 punch and i was lucky enough to get a sweet deal on a 805 flip/punch and i threw frogs on it today on a local pond and i liked it wayyy better than i thought.