Sign in to follow this  
SammyLee

SWIMSENKO How to fish it

I was trying to buy some Senko 194's but unwittingly bought 194 swimsenkos.  Today I borrowed a buds 10 ft. jon boat and hit the water about 6pm.  First I cast a small crankbait, nothing.  Then I tried a creature, nothing.  Finally, I T-rigged one of the swimsenko cast and did a fairly slow retrieve with a bit of jerk, wait, small jerk. I felt the bass hit it, a little resistance then set the hook hard.  I landed an average bass for this lake, which is just now post spawn.

I am not a good worm fisherman, usually drop shotting when I do worm fish.  What is the best way to fish one of the swimsenko's?  I got one but I think it was almost an accident.

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way to work it, and if that worked for you, then continue to use it that way

I Florida rig mine (screw in bullet weight) typically with a gambler rattlin bullet weight, throw it, let it sink to bottom (only 5-6' where I'm fishing) then start swimming it back to me on a steady mid-speed pace.

Thanks Big Mike,

I will try it your way tomorrow.  By the time I had tried the crankbait and the creature there was not much light left in the day.  Plus I was trying to get used to managing the boat, trolling motor, wind and fish at the same time, all by myself.  

I was casting parallel to the bank, just outside the snotgrass.  Maybe 6 to 8 feet of mostly clear, green tinted water.  I tried working from the outside, casting in, landing on or near the lilypads but had to drag back into the snotgrass which ruined the rest of the retrieve.

I did observe the bait's swim action and I was pretty impressed.  It has a nice swim-tail look, almost like a small snake.  Not exactly like that but maybe like a combination worm and swim shad.  It looks kinda like a tail pushing a rope!  It was a 5 inch, watermelon/black flk.

I was using a medium light St. Croix 6 foot rod with the Shimano Saros 2500F spinning reel, loaded with Cajan red line in 6# test, which I am beginning to love.  Proably the best outfit I've ever had in my life.  I doubt my dad ever had such a nice one.

Two hours fishing, one small bass and I feel happy.  What a heck of a sport!

This is covered in the Senko FAQ.